Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: earth furnaces exceeds my expectations  (Read 3158 times)

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
earth furnaces exceeds my expectations
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »

Earth furnaces are built like a tank and performs flawless. I purchased the mountain man 500 with the ash door and grate system and it runs great. I had to change the temp set point from 150 to 185 because that seems what everyone runs their burner at. Seems to have helped because it stays hotter longer, the blower fan runs a lot less, and it still smokes but not quite as bad when the blower motor runs. When it is at idle there's hardly any smoke. I have a total investment of $9500. in it cost of furnace, parts, install, permit, and inspection. I figure in a 5 year span it will pay it's self off since oil in my area is $4.19 a gallon and recently could go up to 19 to 32 percent in today's news paper. House and hot water is very hot!!! Best investment I made. I learned a lot on this site and hope its around a long time. Thanks everyone for the good information.
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: earth furnaces exceeds my expectations
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:45:59 AM »

The OWB's are great, aren't they?  My Central Boiler E-classic 1400 is heating my house (2nd season) and DHW and I cannot be happier.  Of course I experienced some growing pains along the way but that comes anything new.  No doubt you will too.  When you learn what works best for you, you'll be the happiest person alive.  I have learned with mine is to service it every 12 hours.  At 5:00am and 5:00pm I rake the coals to lower the ash level to the desired level, any pieces left unburned are realigned in the middle of the firebox and I place 5 or 6 logs 8 inches in diameter by 24 inches long on top of the unburned pieces.  This will go for the next 12 hours.  I could perhaps add enough to run 24 hours but I love playing with the thing so I put in just enough for 12 hours.

Oh yeah, don't afraid to ask questions.  There are many very knowledgeable people on this forum who either sell them or have through operating their own who are more than willing to freely share their knowledge with you.

Welcome to the world of OWB's and this forum.

Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Drivebymashing

• OWF Brand: Earth Outdoor
  • OWF Model: 305 Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »

I have a earth 305 bear cub it keeps my 1200 sft house and 75 and the hot water temp at 115 no problem.Mine wont go 24 hours longest has been about 18 hours.Mine is set at 160 with 7 degree diff.Soon to install my hottub inline with it also.First mistake my aquastat wiring laid on top next to chimney on the inside  it melted the wiring and screwed it up.Thankfully i had just bought another one for my hottub...
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06
1971 Deuce and a half 10x10

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »

Thanks Roger and yes this is a grate place for help and info. I also like the other site outdoorwoodboilerinfo.com. A lot of helpfull people here are also on that site. Thanks everyone involved and happy burning!!!
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw