Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ash door/Grate or not  (Read 2468 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Ash door/Grate or not
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »

I have been looking at Earth stoves and they have stoves with and without ash door/grates.  What are the pro's and con's to having an ash grate/door or not?  thanks for the advice.

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
Re: Ash door/Grate or not
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

Before I bought mine I thought the same - what's the big deal?  Well it is night and day to have shaker grates, an ash door and pan.  I can empty mine running at full bore and not miss a beat. If I have to empty the ashes in the firebox, without the ash drawer and door, the fire would basically have to be out to do it.  I'm sure you can manage by raking the coals aside but the door is the best.  Hit the shaker, put on welding gloves pull out the tray and dump all set for another week - no fuss.  Well worth it in my mind.

Good luck,

Jamie

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »

Chadley,

Do you plan to burn coal?

HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »

no i don't plan to burn coal.

I've heard that all the "hype" about having shaker grates and ash pan doors isn't what its cracked up to be.  I've heard complaints that the shaker grates get gummed up and clogged and take more cleaning.

On the other hand, I've heard people that don't have the ash pan have problems with their fires going out b/c there isn't as much air flow in the box due to the ash that settles in the bottom.

I am looking for advice in this area.

Thanks

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »

Chadley, shaker grates are a huge huge deal to me and most of my customers.  Makes cleanup super easy, work a handle and all your ash falls into the pan. 

However with the earth design, the grate system is kinda a poor design and don't benefit much.  I've seen 2 people with earth customers lay plate steel over the existing grates because they were a hassle and let to many big chunks through, that part of the earth furnace, IMO is a poor design. 

If I were going to buy an earth it would def be the non grate model, they made more btu's and the firebox door is 5" bigger!  Always nice to have! 

When burning a furnace with no grates, you can burn and burn until your ashes stir around and they'll get so fine they look like liquid.  When you burn them this fine it's no big deal to take a few scoops out now and then

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697