Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anybody use rain water?  (Read 4767 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Anybody use rain water?
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »

Do any of you use rain water for your OWB?  I was told that rain water is the best to use.  I have a friend that has a bunch of plastic barrels and I was thinking about making some sort of system to collect enough water to fill my wood burner.  I think I would hook it up to my gutters and then find some way to filter it before I put it in the boiler.  If any of you have a setup like this would you mind sharing information or pictures?  Thanks!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody use rain water?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »

I filled mine with well water, do you emtpy it at the end of the season? I was going to leave it filled. I save rain water for my garden, I never had to drag a hose from the house again
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »

Rainwater is probably "purer" than well water but I would likely only use it if I had reason to think the well water was of very poor quality, i.e.  Hardness as indicated by heavy white scale in the kettle or soap not lathering well, or iron as indicated by red deposits around the toilet.  With either well or rain water use a nitrite based treatment for your OWB and try to keep the pH around 8.5 to 9.
I would suggest that instead of the usual 45 gallon barrel you try and get a 200 gallon plastic tote in a metal cage.  Many companies are going with this style and, after dispensing the liquid, the tote has no value and is often scrapped.  Make sure it has been well flushed of course.
Muskoka, Ont

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

I am not sure if I will drain the water or not (this is my first season)

My well water is of very poor quality.  It has a lot of minerals and particles in it.  I won't even use my well water for cooking.  I have a 200 gal water tank that fits in my truck and my parents have city water so I just filled it up at their house but I haven't tested the quality of their water yet.  I have a Hardy so it is all stainless but they say that you want to avoid chloride in the water.  I just figured that I could use rain water and put a filter on the supply hose and not have to worry about it.  I have seen those totes that you mentioned on Craigslist from time to time.  Maybe I will try to get a hold of one of them.  Thanks!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:27:06 PM »

I'd rather have rain water than most well waters I've seen
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »

How deep do are your wells with the bad water? I won't drink city water around here. It is disgusting compared to well water.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »

How deep do are your wells with the bad water? I won't drink city water around here. It is disgusting compared to well water.

95% of well waters around here suck suck suck....  Most are full of iron water and smell like sulfur, most of them are 40-60 feet.  The deep wells around here all hit pure salt water
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »

I guess I won't be moving down there. Lol.
It is real common for the wells to be over 200' deep here.
Our well water tastes pretty much the same as Ice Mountain bottled spring water. Most bottled spring water tastes worse than the well water. (I get the bottled water at the office because I am too lazy to haul water from home and the city water is nasty)

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »

95% of well waters around here suck suck suck....  Most are full of iron water and smell like sulfur, most of them are 40-60 feet.  The deep wells around here all hit pure salt water
My well is 265ft deep @ 5 gallons per min..Water is perfect expect the Arsenic...My neighbor is 600Ft deep and other neighbor is 210ft..My buddy 5 miles away 120ft deep @30 gallons a min.. I guess thats why New Hampshire is the "Granite State"
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »

I have 2 wells on my place. The one I use is 185 feet deep and has a little sulfur smell to it so for drinking we have a 5 gallon cooler and the other well is down the hill at the little house, it is a hand dug and is 30 feet deep with 15 feet of water in it. No sulfur smell in it and it taste great.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Chugger4030

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: Cb4030
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 04:50:19 AM »

I used well water when i filled my stove 6 years ago. Added the tratment. Test every six months. I plan on draining it this year. I like the idea of rain water. I would probably use a pond pump to fill the stove from the rain water bin?
Also central boiler sells a in line water softner if your water is above 10 grains of hardness.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »

My well is only 40 ft deep and it is terrible.  We have a UV Light to kill the bacteria but it is not filtered or softened.  I installed an inline whole house filter and it got clogged up after a day so I just took it out.  Getting city water isn't an issue for me because I have that tank, I just figured that if I could collect rain water it would be better that way. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »

I use rain water in my Hardy.  My well water has salt it in so that is a no no.  I use a 150 gallon Rubbermaid livestock trough to catch the water that comes off my garage.  One good rain will fill the trough.
I use an electric pump to get it into the Hardy.  I should probably use a filter, but use two layers of socks to filter it through.  All is well thus far.  My dealer actually recommended rain water above all.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »

Yeah and that's what it says in the Hardy manual too is that rain water is the best choice.  That's not a bad idea with the socks.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

woodsmaster

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »

Greetings new here. Rain water is neutral or acidic if you have acid rain so be sure to check the ph and adjust.  J.T.