Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Taylor water temp question  (Read 5636 times)

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
Taylor water temp question
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »

I'm posting this on here due to lack of activity on the Taylor link!  My buddy has a 15 year old Taylor.  It is a larger one which I believe hold 300 gallons.  Today we set up a maverick smoker probe thermometer setup so he could view his temp from in the house.  I did this with my Heatmaster last week and love it!  Anyway,the temp gauge on the front of his stove read 182 degrees and the probe was only reading around135-140 coming out of the back of the stove.  The probe was well insulated and on steel pipe directly where the water comes out of the stove.  My temp on the Heatmaster varies about 2 degrees from stove to house entry so how can his be so much cooler (up to 45 degrees) just as it leaves the stove?  It seems to heat his house and shop fine but is something wrong?
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor water temp question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »

His gauge is measuring water temperature.  The Maverick is measuring the temperature of the steel pipe. 
Would that be the difference?

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »

Nah, the pipe or pex is going to be whatever the water is within a degree or two. What is the aquastat set for? I just want to diagnose which thermometer is wrong. I would say whichever thermostat matches the aquastat would be the accurate one. 

Sluggo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:16:24 PM »

I hooked the maverick probe to my stove also,probe works fine.  I have no reason to believe the temp gauge on the stove is wrong either.  We are losing a lot of heat somewhere-somehow.  Very confused as I understand concrete and not the inner workings of these stoves.  I just know when the water leaves my Heatmaster it's hot and when it's leaving this Taylor it is Luke warm.
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch

46mech

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: T450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:32 AM »

Don't know if this helps or not, but I have a Taylor (probably the same one, as it holds 360 gal.) and the temp. gauge on the front never will get above 170° but the water leaving is about 165° checked with temp. pen and infared gun. Just curious because I've heard it mentioned before. How far is your friends stove from where you're reading the temp.? I'm assuming the unit is remote and was wondering if it might have something to do with range. I bought mine used a couple years old and pulled the little round plates off the back to inspect it and looking at how it's made I don't see how there's any way for there to be that big of a difference in temp. at the thermometer and the water leaving the boiler. Keep us posted as you go. Good luck.
Stihl MS361
Stihl MS290-bow
Stihl 026
Stihl MS170
JD 790 4WD w/ loader
Home made 37T splitter

Sluggo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »

His gauge goes well above 170 quite often.  I had the probe right on the back of the stove.  Upon initial install the readings were withing 5 degrees but when his 40x60 shed called for heat the remote probe on the back dropped into the 130's yet the gauge on the front of the stove had only dropped several degrees.  We shot the pipe with a heat gun and confirmed the remote probe was correct.
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »

Sounds like a water circulation issue then. Might try pulling water off the bottom and returning it up top.

46mech

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: T450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »

Ok, couple of questions. Some of the Taylors are wired to only run the circulator when the thermostat calls. Don't know if his is wired this way or not but in my mind, that would send a slug of cold water back to the heater after it sat in the system and cooled off. I wired my circulator to run continuously. Another thought. What is the temp. on the return line when the temp on the supply side drops like that?
Stihl MS361
Stihl MS290-bow
Stihl 026
Stihl MS170
JD 790 4WD w/ loader
Home made 37T splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »

Ok, couple of questions. Some of the Taylors are wired to only run the circulator when the thermostat calls. Don't know if his is wired this way or not but in my mind, that would send a slug of cold water back to the heater after it sat in the system and cooled off. I wired my circulator to run continuously. Another thought. What is the temp. on the return line when the temp on the supply side drops like that?
good post
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Sluggo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »

How would we pull water off the bottom?  I will check return temp this weekend.  Thanks guys.
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »

Typically your have a port on the top and a port on the bottom. Most people have it hooked up with the line going to the house coming from the top one and returning the water to the lower one. By reversing this it encourages the tank water to be more balanced in temperature.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 06:53:04 AM »

I don't know the answer to pulling from the top in any scientific way but here is my common sense way of looking at it, Return water in my opinion should be brought back to the hottest portion of the boiler, conventional boilers to the top and downdraft gassers to the bottom, this will tend to keep the water from going to a boil.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.