Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 1st Post in the new area!!  (Read 16904 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: 1st Post in the new area!!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »

I didn't read every reply here but noticed a few mentioning using flat plate heat exchangers. The brazing in flat plates in not compatible with chemicals in pool water and the heat exchanger will fail eventually.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »

I got my flat plate pool  from cb 
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

They sold it to you  as a pool heater? Is it not brazed at the edges like a normal one? If it is, I would check with your pool chemical supplier to see if what you are using with compatible with copper / brass. If it isn't, I would try getting them to exchange it for a proper pool heat exchanger.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 06:17:36 AM »

Pool exchangers aren't flat, at least none ive seen.  People will sell you whatever, but if it's a regular style plate exchanger it's sure to fail with chemicals.  Pool heat exchangers are expensive and folks try to get by with plates and eventually pay the price
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 07:13:54 AM »

Stainless for the pool exchanger - reasons mentioned above......

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »

A lot of people have salt water pools these days.  SS is not rated for this.  You need the titanium or nickle-ca(?) versions... and yes, they are expensive.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

I only heated my pool from labor day last year till begining of Nov.
This is the HX I have, the SS650:     http://www.heatexchangersonline.com/poolheaters2.htm

My pool is estimated @ 40k gal+ Once I fiddled with the flow going through the HX it worked really well. I had no controls on it because I knew in a short time I would be winterizing my pool. I just plugged my circ pump when I wanted heat, un plugged it when up to temp.  I could fill my 6048 with wood, go to work, and come home to a boiler that needed wood but not empty. If I had to guess, I would say 30 to 40% of my pool pump discharge went through my HX then mixed back with the rest. I had approximately 100  degree water dumping into my pool. The thermostatic valve seems to be a "must". If I did not have this, my boiler would drop like a rock on temp. It works just like a car thermostat in the cooling system. If the water coming from the boiler is less than 150 it will return to the boiler and not flow to the HX. As the water temp rises, it allows it to flow. I know once my boiler dropped to 150 it would go no lower but never really recovered a whole lot either. But, it must have been heating because my water out of the HX was always hotter than water going in and my pool was always warm when I got home. Had it up to 85 degrees in Sept just to see how it would work.
This year, I am going to control the boiler water into the HX with an aquastat and 3way valve. I am also going to put a 24 hour clock timer on my control wire to the transformer for my valve so I can let the boiler "catch up" .  I'm thinking maybe 3 hours on, 30 to 60 minutes off. When I get all hooked up this spring, I'll take some pics of the set up.

I installed the blower on my 6048.  So far just from visuals, it seems to be holding temp much better.  I think with the pool, the load is just too much for draft alone.

It is hard to see since I do not have a sensor on the line directly, but I think it is helping a lot.  For one, I can burn my wood down to coals no problem.  I would recommend adding the blower for sure just based on that.  Before, even with a couple well burn logs left it had trouble holding temp.
Pages: 1 2 [3]