Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Generator fuel consumption?  (Read 2632 times)

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: The Classic CL-5648
    • View Profile
    • Marleywood Raised Cedar Garden Beds
Generator fuel consumption?
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »

Hi all,

I just had a Briggs & Stratton Fortress 20kw back-up generator installed here @ the Hacienda.  Right now it's hooked up to a 120 gallon (above ground) propane tank, but my installer thinks that not sufficient & I should get another 120g tank & gang 'em. I'm curious if anyone can estimate how long a single tank will run on a moderate load.  I have a small wood shop on-site here that it will run when need be.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Generator fuel consumption?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »

Wild guess 20-30 gallons per day, he is more than likely concerned more about the tanks ability to vaporize the liquid quickly enough under a good load and cold weather, sometimes hey will need a heater/ vaporizer in the liquid line.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »

Wow, big generator! I am not sure on fuel consumption but I think briggs can give you a consumption rate based on 50% load and 100% load. I have been told that there is a certain amount of consumption output of based on the number of gallons in the tank because of the fact that the liquid propane has to vaporize into a gas in order to be used. If the consumption is to fast then the propane in te tank won't be able to convert fast enough, larger volume such as adding a second take can increase consumption rates.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »

Ditto, cold LP won’t vaporize fast enough. On some corn dryers that require vapor you may need three 1000 gallon tanks plumbed together, better corn dryers were supplied liquid then had a vaporizer ring built into them. I’ve never seen it personally, but have heard many a old timer claim if it was cold enough they’d build a fire near the tank to warm it up enough to vaporize, makes me shudder, just like watching guys use ether to mount semi tires.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »

I have a 17KW Siemens with a B&S engine.  At half load it's 1.61 gal/hr and 2.57 gal/hr at full load.  I'm hooked to a 500 gallon tank.  I would think you may want to consider installing a similar size tank for your unit.  I thinks they fill to around 85% so essentially you have 100 gallons in that tank.  At half load you would get about 2 1/2 days off one tank.  In 2009 I was without power for 6 1/2 days.  That's when I decided to go to a stand by system instead of filling  the small tank on a portable unit every 10 hours.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:30:26 PM by Cabo »

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »

Cabo, I had a 500 gallon underground tank at my old house for a big old Genny.  Be a bitch to bury a tank up here on the side of a mountain though.

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »

Can you go with an above ground?  Can be unsightly but you won't have to worry about running out.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »

Can you go with an above ground?  Can be unsightly but you won't have to worry about running out.

The current tank is above ground up against the back of the garage, which although it runs in line parallel with rest of the back of the house, isn't too unsightly.  My guess is the fuel company will just want to gang another 120 gallon tank.  Someone once told me that a larger tank was better than several smaller ones from a vaporization efficiency standpoint......