Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heating water  (Read 7539 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Heating water
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »

I see some funny gadgets people have heating their water, what type of heat exchanger does central boiler use for their hot water use?  I was under the impression you could turn your water heater off, but it appears that hot water only goes in as water goes out, which means the tank still has to maintain the temperature you want? right? 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

atlarge54

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Heating water
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

Some people use flat plate heat exchangers, I prefer sidearms. Plate exchangers usually require an extra circ. Sidearms are more robust and easy to make yourself. Sidearms use the thermosiphon effect to heat the tank. By using the appropriate tee fittings and filing out the stop so 3/4" tubing will slide through you create a shell and tube heat exchanger. Unless you have extrordinary HW needs you should be able to use your existing water heater and turn it off. My 50 gallon elec. heater has been off for four years now. No matter which way you go you'll need to plumb the water heater outlet with a mixing valve at the outlet to prevent scalding.

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »

Scott, go to Central Boiler's website and look at the installation diagrams.   They use plate heat exchangers that come off of the pump on the side of your OWB.  It goes in line first so it constantly circulates.  The water tank will be heated by the thermal circulation created by the heat exchanger and will be stored in the tank. 
Pomeroy, Ohio

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »

good, thats what i was wanting to hear, i'd like to have one  that circulates it like that
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697