Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: pex foil rap  (Read 5438 times)

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
pex foil rap
« on: February 07, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

Anyone ever use the foil wrap underground insulation. Ive been told that if you don't poke a hole in it, it works good.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: pex foil rap
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »

There are a lot of different products out there. Some are good and some are not.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:22:55 PM by RSI »

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »

There is such a huge difference in cost. I know you usually get what you pay for, just wondering if anyone has used this product before. Is there different types of foil ? Im Fairly new to all these products   

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »

whats ur total per foot,,with the best of this stuff,,,hose and all????

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »

145 Foot

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »

$14.50 a ft?????

that must be good stuff then
I have this stuff from P/M,,,very hard plastic liner, on the outside,,,all urethane on inside,,,6 inch  thick,,, very very hard to puncture a hole in this stuff, 2-1inch lines running in center of it,,,1 inch space in betwwen them ,,never seen better stuff than this,,really never looked either...
I believe tis what I paid,,it has been yrs ago now,,

which website can we a pic of ur stuff

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »

Franky1 what I ment was I need about 145 feet. Did you use the five rap in the black field pipe

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

5 rep????  no idea    sound stupid now,,,,me
this stuff was from Denmark,,,not made in N America,,,,,,

duke

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »

I have the foil wrap, 60 feet outside then 50 inside of house. Never put a temp gauge on return line but every once in awhile ill grab it where it goes thru the basement wall back out to stove and its always nearly as warm as infeed side. Ive had mine for 4 years, no issues. I go 14 hours between fills on work days (I work a 12 hour swing shift). Good luck with whatever you go with!
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »

Welcome to what I think is the leading cause of owb system complaints. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Do a bit of a search and you will see some pics of failed installs using these types of wraps and drainage style tile. Do a huge search and see if you can find any that show failure using Logstor or thermopex. The wrap type can work but you better have excellent soil conditions with proper drainage, put it in another pipe etc.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »

This is the best for foil wrap pex pipe.  http://z-supply.com

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »

Please read the foil manufacturers recommended install guidelines and ratings. If the foil does not have ASTM rating then it's not even good enuff to be used as toilet paper. It's intended and design use is in a wall cavity and only meets it's stated R (usually .5-3.2) value with a full 4 or 6" dead airspace on 1 side. So multiple layers DO NOT add R value like glass or foam.

There is an article called Double Trouble with the Foil "ed" Bubble.
A simple test you can do is put a piece of the foil insulation on the ground and right next to it put a similar thickness of foam board on the frozen ground. Stand on them barefoot. I rest my case
Michigan Thumber

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »

LIKE CANTOO.....post.

Even the duke can touch his return, I don't think you'll be holding onto a 150 plus degree line more than once.
What I am finding is water in these fancy rapped lines. Yet there is not leak or whole or puncture. When an air space sees fluctuating temps, condensation forms. And it fills the airspace. I have not seen it much where the ground is all sand and dry, but if there is a high water table or wet soil, its not if but when. And I have never seen anything perform anywhere near the high dollar pipe with proper flow. This being 4' per second or less.
Michigan Thumber

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »

LIKE CANTOO.....post.

Even the duke can touch his return, I don't think you'll be holding onto a 150 plus degree line more than once.
What I am finding is water in these fancy rapped lines. Yet there is not leak or whole or puncture. When an air space sees fluctuating temps, condensation forms. And it fills the airspace. I have not seen it much where the ground is all sand and dry, but if there is a high water table or wet soil, its not if but when. And I have never seen anything perform anywhere near the high dollar pipe with proper flow. This being 4' per second or less.
It is not condensation. Unless you have airflow through the pipe it is impossible for air to generate water. Even if the trapped air is at 100% humidity it couldn't do more than a thin film.
If water gets inside it is from an outside source. Most likely a leaking fitting or was  improperly installed / damaged and ground water getting in.

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

I used the z-supply 3 wrap for my outdoor hot tub, the run is only about 40' from the house, I buried it carefully with sand and also the run is not prone to ground water problems. I have had zero problems, wish they would have had the 5 wrap when I bought mine. One nice thing about z-supply is they cut the length you order so you don't need to buy more than you need. One thing that cut my shipping costs down was to ship to a business address rather than a residence, I would check on that regardless of what you buy if you are dealing with shipping.
Pages: [1] 2