Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Uponor (Wirsbo) ProPEX versus ViegaPEX PureFlow Crimp  (Read 11527 times)

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
Uponor (Wirsbo) ProPEX versus ViegaPEX PureFlow Crimp
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »

As part of my system design plan, I have seemingly run into "two schools" of people who support one of two different brand products for PEX-A tubing for water transfer in a hydronic heating system:

Uponor (Wirsbo) ProPEX Fittings (Click Here) and ViegaPEX PureFlow Crimp fittings (Click Here)

I admittedly do not know anything much about either (other than what I have read at the manufacturers' websites).  I do understand that Uponor (Wirsbo) supposedly has the largest internal diameter of any fitting I can find so this ought to be great for not impeding flow (correct?).

Thank you to all for your input.  :thumbup: Cheers! -Slopster

So,,,, sell me the "best" product and your reasons/rationale why.  Which is best?

If another brand/style is better, sell me on your preference for that product.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:40:31 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Uponor (Wirsbo) ProPEX versus ViegaPEX PureFlow Crimp
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »

One fittings it's not as critical as the tube size. It's a brief restriction, not a hundred feet's worth. When the liquid, or gas for that matter hit the fitting it will momentarily speed up to get thru it, as long as you don't use a record number of fittings for your install it shouldn't even be measurable from one brand to another.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »

Understood.  But a momentary restriction at each fitting does affect the total system head for pump sizing, correct?  :-\
New Holland TC33D 4WD

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »

We use the Wirsbo (expanding pipe style) at work but I use the stainless steel clamp style at home. Most of our site contractors use the Wirsbo style too but I have asked a few and they said they only use it because it became available 1st and once they bought all the tools and fittings it just wasn't worth it to change over. Rings are cheaper than the clamps but the ring tool is more expensive. Both are a pain in the azz to use in tight quarters. Wirsbo fittings might be a little harder to find, around here Home Depot and Lowes stock all the non pipe expanding fittings and tools.

jnicol6600

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 6000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »

I used the crimp fittings just because they were available. Lowes and Menards both carried them. If I need anything in the future I can get it without ordering. As far as fitting size in tacos formula a 1'' 90 only adds between 2 and 3 feet of pipe to the calculation. unless you had several fittings you probably wouldn't notice the difference.  For me the crimps were easier to put together but hopefully you only do the plumbing once :thumbup:

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »

The Uponor expanding style works very well in tight spots, it's really easy to use the only Viega experience I have involved the crimper, very hard to get in some spots and lots of hand pressure required, we gave up using the old Viega style and switched back to Uponor a couple years ago, maybe the new Viega system is better now but I would not be afraid to recommend Uponor. This is the Milwaukee expansion tool we use.
http://www.uponorpro.com/Catalog/Products/Tools-and-Accessories/ProPEX-Tools-and-Accessories/Milwaukee-M12-ProPEX-Expansion-Tool.aspx

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  Please keep it coming... I know this thread will help me and many others.

I have a question about the Milwaukee  ProPEX Expansion tools....

What is the difference between the M12 ProPEX Expansion tool and the M18 ProPEX Expansion tool? (besides a couple hundred dollars)? 

As big and bulky as the M18 is, why would someone buy the M18?  Longer run time and 18-volt tool for a professional installer???

Thanks guys!  :thumbup: Slopster
New Holland TC33D 4WD

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »

Yeah the 18 is just bigger and runs longer so if you're doing a lot at once it helps without changing batteries. There really isn't any disadvantage to it being bigger, the beauty of the Uponor method is that after expansion you have a little time to move the pex into place and push it in so you don't have to worry about tight places for the most part, that's where the old crimper method was clunky.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:10:44 AM »

As long as you are aware of the differences in ID a and have calculated the flow and size you need, either pex will work fine. Pex C is the only one I would avoid for hydronic use, it's the cheapest for a reason. Too much GPM flow will eat thru Pex C much faster than A or B. For potable water use , there are not enough differences to matter.
Just figure the cost difference in using the two different sizes to get the same flow.( 1" upon or vs. 1.25" crimp).  Usually crimp style is cheaper and easier to find.
Michigan Thumber

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »

As long as you are aware of the differences in ID a and have calculated the flow and size you need, either pex will work fine. Pex C is the only one I would avoid for hydronic use, it's the cheapest for a reason. Too much GPM flow will eat thru Pex C much faster than A or B. For potable water use , there are not enough differences to matter.
Just figure the cost difference in using the two different sizes to get the same flow.( 1" upon or vs. 1.25" crimp).  Usually crimp style is cheaper and easier to find.

Will it matter then if I use Logstor Dual PEX-Flex in the 1-inch variety coming into the basement? 

In other words, is it "un-wise" to use 1-inch supply and return lines in my underground Logstor and couple it up to a 1 1/4" interior Pex-A piping?
New Holland TC33D 4WD

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »

I have a question about the Milwaukee  ProPEX Expansion tools....
What is the difference between the M12 ProPEX Expansion tool and the M18 ProPEX Expansion tool? (besides a couple hundred dollars)? 
As big and bulky as the M18 is, why would someone buy the M18?  Longer run time and 18-volt tool for a professional installer???

I have used both Milwaukee tools, M18 is best with larger sizes (say 1" and up); yes the M12 can do it but you hear the little guy make a bit more noise.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »

buy the m12 /ebay etc /pex supply.......and never look back..........

Sprinter

• Global Moderator
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:52 AM »

Will it matter then if I use Logstor Dual PEX-Flex in the 1-inch variety coming into the basement? 

In other words, is it "un-wise" to use 1-inch supply and return lines in my underground Logstor and couple it up to a 1 1/4" interior Pex-A piping?

No it won't matter, the larger pipe will have less head loss.
Michigan Thumber

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »

No it won't matter, the larger pipe will have less head loss.

How much impact on system design (and cost) will larger 1 1/4" i.d. interior PEX piping have for me?  Will this typically mean I will be able to use smaller circ. pumps and/or less costly pump replacement?  In short, is 1 1/4" PEX tubing on the interior plumbing "worth it?" (does it help me?)
New Holland TC33D 4WD

Sprinter

• Global Moderator
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »

It depends on your system design, if that much 1.25" makes a difference in you head loss calculations then yes it will help. Is there a flat plate....P/S piping......zoned.? Etc... Do you have a ruff sketch ?
Michigan Thumber