Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Auto fill good or bad  (Read 1735 times)

Farmer85

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
Auto fill good or bad
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:22:46 AM »

Hi I Have an earth rancher 365 new to me. Wondering if anyone has ever added auto fill option to an owb? I guess figuring out how to install float would be hardest thing. I think it's a good idea mainly incase of a leak when not around I assume it would at the very least quench the tank and keep from overheating. Any ideas or does anybody even worry about it.
Sullivan Mo
Earth rancher 365
Stihl ms250,ms260pro,ms290,ms034,ms460
Skidsplitter,gas powered splitter and shiny mall

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Auto fill good or bad
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:52:13 AM »

If you stove is new, I wouldn't worry about it.  It should be many many years before it ever leaks and if it does, it will start off very small. 

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39:59 AM »

I have done auto fill on some of my installations using the safegard low water cut off and electronic water feeder by using the alarm terminal on the low water cut off to power the feeder, works great for about 3 years and then the bulb on the sensor gets so nasty that it stops working, my opinion don't waste your money or time
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:12 AM »

Yep, I think there pretty goofy.  If companies have to have an auto fill float I think that's a sign there is some issues, which earth doesn't but a couple do. 

With a conventional furnace like earth often times there isn't enough fuel in the firebox to completely boil it dry, at least I know that some companies kind of use that as a safe guard by saying well this firebox will hold x pounds of wood and it holds x number of gallons.  So if it overheats there is only enough energy available to boil out 75 gallons of water, or something of that nature
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697