Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rotating seasoned wood  (Read 2584 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Rotating seasoned wood
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:21:58 PM »

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to rotate my wood pile.
I have a woodshed that is closed in on the front and both sides, completely open in the rear, is 24' wide and about 22.5' long.  Here's what it looked like before the patio was built in the front.

And this is how I load it with wood, I'm calling this...
Option#1:

I load it from the rear open end, putting the most seasoned wood in first, and the greenest wood in last.  It works great until I have to reload it.  As you can see the top left pic is full, then at the end of the burn season, it looks like the top right pic.

My choice then, is to either load in all that wood through the small, front, 36" door, across our patio, with green wood... like in the bottom left pic, or to rotate all the old wood to the front, putting the more green wood in the back, like in the bottom right pic.

But that's a lot of wood to move just a few feet...

Option #2 is to build a wall right down the center of the wood shed, floor to ceiling, but leave an opening to walk through (with no door) in the front like this:

The top left pic is full, and I would pull only from one side per season.  At the end of the season, one side would be empty like in the top right pic.  If it was a hard season, and I had to pull from the other side, it would look like the bottom left pic.

But then I'd still have to restack the old wood down closer to the stove, then it could be easily filled with green wood from the back, like in the bottom right pic.  But again... It requires lots of restacking...

Option #3 would be to have the wall down the center, like in option 2, but have an opening in the front and the rear like this:

The top left pic is a full woodshed, and again, I'd only pull from one side at a time, and if I need more, I'd pull from the other side in the rear... Making reloading in the summer easy to do from the rear. 

Any other ideas of how to do it?
Hudson, WI

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating seasoned wood
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »

How about a 6x6 overhead garage door on the left side? A little bit of coin but would take restacking wood out of the equation. Depending on what your patio set up is like.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:17:12 PM »

Track system so you can push carts ahead.
Western Maine

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »

Looks like wood is gonna heat you for a third or fourth time,, instead of just twice?
If ya keep movin it around............
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:57:48 PM by kommandokenny »
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

Goat Herder

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: WOODMASTER
  • OWF Model: HEAVY DUTY 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »

My Dad has a similar issue, but he just tunnels a path as he burns to get to the drier or older wood, seems to work for him, sometimes will stack the greener wood to the back later.