Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone heard the term "shook rick"?  (Read 2326 times)

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Anyone heard the term "shook rick"?
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:15:33 PM »

My wise Quaker great uncle is was an author.  He wrote a book about settling in to a nearby County decades before it became what is best described as Indiana's Vermont- the county that people flock toin the Fall. Became an artist colony and intellectual retirement area as well.

In the forties, he and my aunt lived year round in a large military tent as they built their home. He wrote about a time he had a local deliver a rick of firewood. After he stacked it he thought it was a little light on dimension. He contacted the guy and said he understood a rick to be measured by those dimensions. The guy replied " oh, you're talkoing about a shook rick. That's extra if you want a shook rick" 

I presume the meaning is similar to when you fill a bag or box with stuff and give it a shake it get some more stuff in.

Ol' Hank found that so amusing, he named his ad hoc publishing company "Shook Rick Press"    Not sure if he did business with him again, and he became more astute that over the decades he was the very fabric and history of the County.

Is a shook rick anything you all have heard of?
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard the term "shook rick"?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »

We don't use the term rick here and  I have certainly never heard of a shook rick but I did find this story amusing.  There seems to be a lot of terms to describe a measure of firewood, and they all seem to work in the seller's favour.
On the weekend, I will be taking delivery of logs.  I will probably receive a normal load, and get charged for a shook load.
Muskoka, Ont

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »

There is a guy down the street from me who sells the closest thing to a "shook" load I have ever come across. He does land clearing and not much firewood processing. He will bring you whatever he can pack into a 10 wheeler with the excavator in tree lengths for $300. Usually yields 4+ full cords. He brought my dad 2 loads last year , quite something to see , doesn't care if the logs are 12' or 20' long or how far they stick out the back. Not bad when the average price here for a face cord seasoned is $275.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »

I have seen some heated posts on other sites discussing this. It looks as if what firewood is sold as  is a regional thing. I looked up Massachusetts and it isn't even legal to sell cord wood by the cord :o but then again we got some idiots debating changing daylight savings time in the state. If they can poke  a finger in anything here in Mass and mess it up they will.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor