Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Civic Duty  (Read 2505 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Civic Duty
« on: August 04, 2016, 04:12:57 AM »

Hi all - Aren't I the lucky one?  It was perhaps a couple of months ago that I received a summons in the mail to appear at the Grafton County Superior Court for jury selection.  Well, on Tuesday we all showed up for our civic duty.  Wouldn't you know it I was selected for 2 cases?  One case the judge excused me due to knowing the one of the witnesses but the other, no luck, it's a civil case and I was one who they liked.  So, at the end of the month I have to sit through 4 days of testimony and then deliberate the case and only God knows how long that will take.    Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Civic Duty
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:18:49 AM »

Thanks for doing your part Roger, we all know how honest and impartial you are, you will make a great addition to the seat!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »

This is actually my second time around.  About 25 years ago I was picked to sit on 3 cases; One we heard 2 days testimony; we were a hung jury; the second one I was alternate, although I had to sit through the entire trial, I wasn't part of the deliberation; the third one was a civil case.  I drove all the way to North Haverhill from my house in Enfield in a snow storm only to be met at the door of the courthouse by the bailiff who said I was free to go home due the parties settling out of court 5 minutes before I arrived. 

I don't mind doing my part.  Thankfully my employer pays us while we are away on jury duty regardless the length of time we're gone. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »

Lucky you, I’m self employed and depending on the time of year they can’t pay me enough to make up for what I loose.

Was called twice, first one I told em, Dads working five 12’s in Chicago and we have corn to be picked and I’m the only one who can do it, was excused on that one.

Second time sat there for over four hours before they got to me for a civil case, lady pulled in front of a guy on his bike and wiped him out, when asked if any reasons I couldn’t be impartial I told em the god honest truth, I went to school with the guy and his wife and the dudes grandpa used to work for us on the farm, was excused on that one as well.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »

I was called a few years ago to sit four cases, uggggh. Lucky for me I was settled that day and I knew a lot of people in the other three, I was excused.
Western Maine

hockeyguy

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: eclassic e2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:10:09 AM »

Roger, I did jury duty a few years ago at Grafton County as well. Although I went in kickin and screaming, I enjoyed the experience and found it rewarding. There's never a good time to go, especially those of us who are self employed. Just have to make the best of it and be thankful we have such a great judicial system. (most of the time lol)
Ducati Multistrada
Polaris Sportsman 500
Central N.H.

MScott

• OWF Model: CL 4030
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »

I have been called for jury duty twice but still have not served. The first time was when my wife was terminally ill and I was excused as being her primary support. The last time the call was cancelled for some reason. (I never knew why)
Being retired I was available to serve but having been involved in law enforcement when I was working it is possible I would have been excluded anyway.
Eastern Ontario
Sthil MS 290
Sthil MS 180 C
Polaris ATV
Bush Buddy trailer
Wallenstein wood splitter

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »

Well, my number (they use names anymore) was called twice; the 1st was a criminal case, the judge understood the reason I couldn't be juror and excused me.  I wasn't so lucky on the 2nd one.  It's a civil case (one party suing the other) where testimony is supposed to last 3 to 4 days and then we get to deliberate.  Who knows how long that'll take.  I only hope I can stay awake through it all.  :)    The timing of the trial is good.  Thankfully it's at the end of the of the month where things at work won't be hectic so I can count on my co-workers to help me out.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »

Well, my civic duty as a juror for a civil case has ended.  It concluded this morning around 11:30am when we handed over to the judge our decision.  This is the first civil case I've ever sat on and it was very interesting.  The testimony lasted 4 days and it took about 4 hours of deliberation to come to the conclusion we did.  According to the judge we will not be chosen again in the next 3 years, after that we could be called back to serve again.  Although at first I thought it would be a drag, I'm glad I was selected to sit, I learned a lot.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire