Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water level gauge  (Read 6518 times)

Loglivin2

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
Water level gauge
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:57:14 PM »

I recently installed my first boiler, Heatmaster c250. Had it up and running for about 3 weeks. Came home tonight to find my water level gauge missing from  the unit. Didn't take long to find it on the ground a few feet away from the stove. My stove temp was normal and after putting gauge back where it belongs my water level was normal. So my question is did the steam somehow push the gauge up and out to the point to where it fell off or did I have a nosey passerby that thought it would be entertaining to remove my gauge and leave it on the ground? I think the second theory is highly unlikely because I live far out in the county with no close neighbors. Anybody else ever have this happen? Aquastat set to 180 with a 10 degree dif.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Water level gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:14:43 AM »

Wow that's an odd one, I have had them missing on a truckload before and I figured that it was to do with Flying Frenchmen truck drivers And our rapidly deteriorating infrastructure but never had one missing after the boiler was fired up, I normally will take a few wraps around the gauge and pipe with some electrical tape if I'm headed down that lovely highway that we know up here as 495 in Massachusetts, I've seen many a trailer get air on those bridges!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »

I had mine get sucked out one time on a HUGE back draft. I opened the door and saw it was going to flash and I slammed the door and the whole whoosh when up the chimney and the force sucked my bobber out of the cylinder! I had to change my pants afterward!

I could see if your water was completely full and it overheated, I could see the steam pushing it out. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »

Or maybe clear full and a big slug of air finally came out of a line?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Loglivin2

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »

Ran it by my dealer (scott7m) and I think he'd seen it happen before. Said I should probably tighten up the doors.  Thanks for the responses. Loving my Heatmaster! Looking forward to seeing the first electric bill since install. Moved the thermostat up to 73 from 68 which is where it had been in the winter since 2009 when I built the house. And the hot water is unreal.

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »

Have seen this happen. Like a backdraft, if there is a lot of ash on the top of grates and the fan comes on and only a small amount of air comes in the firebox it will slowly build oxygen untill wood gas explodes.  If the float is all the way up a little burp from the flash will send it out the top. keep an air hole open so you get a full shot of air and quick flame when fan comes on. also keep float about halfway down when hot so there is a air space in the top of tank.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

Loglivin2

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »

Hadn't shook my grates in about a week and a half cause I was trying to build a coal bed, burnt a bunch of old cardboard. That probably plugged up the grates. Water level was 100% so I'd say you are right on track for what caused it. That's why I love this forum! Thanks shepherd boy.

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:32:03 PM »

You do want a coal bed and some ash around the sides, it helps keep the fire from going out in warmer weather. just needs to get air at one hole. That stove with the triple pass is designed to keep static pressure on the firebox. It will keep the bypass clean so it must get air from the bottom. You should love it - the c series uses less wood than any that I have tried save a gasser.
 Gettin' old and lazy

Loglivin2

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 07:13:30 PM »

So shepherd boy how much more efficient are the gassers than the c series? I wanted to be able to burn green wood and didn't even consider a gasification. Living out in the country the smoke is a non-issue. I've been burning for 3 weeks and can't get over how little wood the thing uses. I was close to purchasing another brand but am very happy with my unit. I feel I got the best stove for a fair amount of $$$$. Hope it last 20+ years with few problems.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »

So shepherd boy how much more efficient are the gassers than the c series? I wanted to be able to burn green wood and didn't even consider a gasification. Living out in the country the smoke is a non-issue. I've been burning for 3 weeks and can't get over how little wood the thing uses. I was close to purchasing another brand but am very happy with my unit. I feel I got the best stove for a fair amount of $$$$. Hope it last 20+ years with few problems.

The thing is though, smoke is unburnt fuel…..

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Loglivin2

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »

I hear what you are saying mlappin and 95% of the time I intend to burn good seasoned wood. It's that other 5% that makes the conventional style right for me. There may be a time when I'm not able to put up all the wood I need a year early. I will still need heat. Dropping a tree and taking it straight to the stove appeals to me.

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »

From standard MF, not e series, to c series at least 25% less, Standard MF to G series gasser 50% less but no green wood. My observation , no official test.
 Gettin' old and lazy

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »

I hear what you are saying mlappin and 95% of the time I intend to burn good seasoned wood. It's that other 5% that makes the conventional style right for me. There may be a time when I'm not able to put up all the wood I need a year early. I will still need heat. Dropping a tree and taking it straight to the stove appeals to me.

Oh I know, but burning green isn’t fun either, but I had a natural draft instead of forced so I’m sure that helps.

Cleaned up a down tree or two during harvest that blew over and have burned wild cherry with the leaves still on, makes a huge mess inside of the stove in a hurry.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 11:13:23 AM »

Had someone logging about a mile from my house last winter and was burning log buts, ends and pieces straight off the stump no problem. However sap was down and it seems to do better when there is a draw on furnace. Blower stays on more, fire is hotter.  burning half green scrap lumber from a mill close by now. Nothing like free. It works.
 Gettin' old and lazy

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 05:39:23 AM »

Most of the wood I burned this past winter as well as all the shows was right around 40% but mind you I kept a real good load on it! I'm sure that if the unit idled much then I would have seen some creosote building up.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.
Pages: [1] 2