Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Green wood?  (Read 6660 times)

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: The Classic CL-5648
    • View Profile
    • Marleywood Raised Cedar Garden Beds
Green wood?
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

Hi folks,

This will be my second winter up here in central New Hampshire with an OWF, a Central Boiler, "The Classic" CL-5648.  It's not new, we're new to the house, LOL.

I'm getting a delivery of a truckload of freshly felled mixed hardwoods (maybe some pine in there as well, they are clearing building lots) from a local logger.

Last year we didn't have the time to cut & split our own wood, so I bought a some seasoned and some green split wood.  Honestly, I could not tell when the seasoned stuff ran out & I started going through the "green" stuff.

Can I just chainsaw this stuff up to size & split it (as warranted by size) and burn it exclusively this year?  Should I get some seasoned stuff to start off with?  I've been told these things will burn pretty much anything you throw into them once they get going.....

Have at it, I look forward to the discussion!

Marleywood.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Green wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »

Burning pretty much anything you can throw in em is what led to the EPA requiring all residential wood boilers to pass emission tests….

Classic or not, the wetter the wood you burn in it the more condensation you’ll have in it, the more condensation you have the quicker it will rot out.

Besides, you can waste up to 40% of the BTU content of the wood just from boiling the water out of the wood.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »

He is exactly right. I read this somewhere... "think of someone coming in the night and stealing 40% of your wood pile". Basically that is what will happen with wet wood.  The first year I had my stove I burned wood in the mid to upper 30s percentage of moisture and thought the stove worked great but it did smoke a significantly amount more than last year when I burned wood in the mid to upper 20s.  From now on I have been trying my best to keep the wood I burn in the 20s.  Less smoke and longer burn times that's for sure.  I can get 15 hours of burn time when the wood is in the 20s but only 12 in the 30s so that alone speaks for itself.  I have also come to find burning rounds in a conventional OWB works better than splits.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:06:25 PM »

Without forced draft you may have trouble getting it to burn if it is too green?

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »

I have also come to find burning rounds in a conventional OWB works better than splits.

Good to know, that was my thought as well, but nice to have it confirmed.  My plan was only to split the stuff that was too big to handle as a round.

If I let this stuff sit all winter till next year, I'll have to buy split wood....

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »

What part of central NH you live?? Central NH here..Far as burning green wood.. Ya it will burn it..Makes your boiler work harder.. btus up in smoke..Far as burning wood whole rounds..Kinda be careful about that..  Round wood can bridge, the fire burns everything in the middle..Wood doesn't fall into the fire..Fire went out..Its happened to me!!..Im a fan of a good mixture of  split and unspilt wood, small and large
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »

I have also come to find burning rounds in a conventional OWB works better than splits.

Good to know, that was my thought as well, but nice to have it confirmed.  My plan was only to split the stuff that was too big to handle as a round.

If I let this stuff sit all winter till next year, I'll have to buy split wood....

Make a few phone calls to a local tree service.  The ones around here will sell wood for dirt cheap.  Sometimes it's free as they pay to dump it.  In Wisconsin seems like the demand  is much higher so usually you have to purchase it.  I can't remember an exact number but it was somewhere in the $25 a cord range if you picked it up and split it.  Dirt cheap.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »

Make a few phone calls to a local tree service.  The ones around here will sell wood for dirt cheap.  Sometimes it's free as they pay to dump it.  In Wisconsin seems like the demand  is much higher so usually you have to purchase it.  I can't remember an exact number but it was somewhere in the $25 a cord range if you picked it up and split it.  Dirt cheap.

Too many folks around here heat with wood for anyone to be selling any "dirt cheap" I'm afraid.  The cheapest I've seen is for split green @ $225/cord.

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »

Aw man that's too bad.  Any chance of buying a semi load of wood?  Last I called it was 800 delivered uncut logs roughly 10-12 cord
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »

It all depends on where you live. I live in NH and just got winter 18/19 wood dropped off. New logger I am buying from sells it for whatever the mill is buying it from him for hardwood pulp. Price two weeks ago was 44 per ton. They go to the closest scale and weigh it up. Came up to be 20.12 tons. $889 dropped off. Almost done cutting it up. Looked like 7.5 cords but I'll know after I split it. Pretty standard cost and amount for a straight truck.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »

What part of central NH you live?? Central NH here..

Newfound Lake area

Far as burning wood whole rounds..Kinda be careful about that..  Round wood can bridge, the fire burns everything in the middle..Wood doesn't fall into the fire..Fire went out..Its happened to me!!..Im a fan of a good mixture of  split and unspilt wood, small and large

Good advice.  I wasn't planning on burning exclusively rounds, just some that were small enough to burn w/o splitting.

It all depends on where you live. I live in NH and just got winter 18/19 wood dropped off. New logger I am buying from sells it for whatever the mill is buying it from him for hardwood pulp. Price two weeks ago was 44 per ton. They go to the closest scale and weigh it up. Came up to be 20.12 tons. $889 dropped off. Almost done cutting it up. Looked like 7.5 cords but I'll know after I split it. Pretty standard cost and amount for a straight truck.

Heck, I paid double that, but the logger claimed is was around 12 cords.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:01:55 AM by Marleywood »

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »

Was it a straight truck or a semi? I have never gotten a semi but those guys do claim it's around 12 cords. All the guys I hAve bought wood from before charge by the truck load, 700-900 per truck depending On the logger. Ussually I would get anywhere from 7-8 cords. This guy that I  am getting wood from now is the only guy that I have ever heard of that sells it by the weight. I guess it's the most fair way of doing things especially since the amount you get varies greatly depending on if the wood is nice and straight or nasty and crocked.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:59:08 AM by hondaracer2oo4 »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 08:08:58 AM »

Well it is the real true measurement, the more pounds of wood the more BTUs
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 09:25:47 AM »

I guess if you're buying by the truckload, it will pretty much always be green, which is going to weigh much more than "seasoned" wood.

The truck load I got was a timber truck with two rows of wood.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

Log length wood really doesn't lose any of it's moisture until it is cut up and split. 44 per ton is the green weight that the mill buys it for.
Pages: [1] 2