Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Transfer Switch or Interlock Kit  (Read 10180 times)

Rockarosa

• OWF Brand: Pro-Fab
  • OWF Model: Cozyburn MS 250
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Switch or Interlock Kit
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 05:16:13 AM »

I have a transfer switch that I bought new with the outdoor plug for $150. I put it in last summer and have used it twice. It is so much safer than backfeeding.
New Holland T C 30

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:01 AM »

Okay, so I have a Interlock switch apparently.  I had it installed when I added my garage to my panel.  I was getting a new panel (upgrading from 100 to 200A service)  I think I only spent $180 on the switch because it was built into the panel.  It can only be in one position at a time. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 08:00:25 AM »

Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »

I doubt the interlockkit that is shown on this post would satisfy my power company since it looks like just a mechanical block on the main breaker that would be easily defeated and does not actually disconnect the commercial power source. 

The double throw switch they require at a minimum only allows power to be fed INTO the main breaker from one source, either commercial or the generator.  Here is Eaton's version.  Judd, most electrical supply companies make such a switch well above 50 amps.

http://www.eaton.com/EN/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/ElectricalDistribution/SwitchesandDisconnects/SafetySwitches/DoubleThrow/GeneralDuty/index.htm

The automatic transfer switch works in a similar fashion, it just does this switching internally, but only allows the power to feed from only one source, where the double throw switch requires a person to physically throw the switch themselves.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »

I like the idea of backing feeding because I can turn off and on breakers as I choose to where we are in the house(we have 3 floors). My breaker box has a place that I can put a pad lock to keep anybody from throwing the main breaker back on. I am going to ask my electric company if they are ok with that. I don't want anybody hurt and sure don't want any trouble.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »

While this isn't a double throw design, this is what the box stores are selling as a 200 amp transfer switch:
Reliance Outdoor 200 Amp Transfer Switch

It looks like this:

If you look closely, it's nothing more than a small electrical panel with a 200 amp main breaker, a 60 amp generator breaker, and an interlock kit installed.  It even has blanks for additional breakers.  The fine print says it can be used as a feed through to another panel or you can use it as the main panel (which then makes it nothing more than a regular panel with an interlock kit installed).  That same kit is still too small for my big generator which is capable of over 100 amps.  With the price of a double throw being upwards of $750, an Interlock is more than likely what I'm going for. 

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »

i have mine like hondaracer with one exception, i pull the meter.
My brother in law is a lineman and it has their blessing.  he told me to call the electric coop and ask them to call me when the power came back on and they would put a new lock to replace the one I cut off.

At least that is how it works in semo, I know some places are a lot stricter
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

renoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ShopBuilt
  • OWF Model: One Hot Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

here in Ontario you must have a generator supply panel whether it is manual or automatic. I
have a 60 amp panel off of my main panel with all the stuff in it I want to run from my generator including
my shop. It is a manual throw which will not allow both sides to b on at once. one thing the hydro company wants
is what a generator panel provides that both the hot feeds and the neutral become isolated by this type of panel switch.
if you simply backfeed with your main breaker off your neutral is still connected to the grid and power can
sometimes backfeed through the neutral and you could end up severely injuring someone if not killing them!
Hydro is not something to fool with it can be very dangerous and I don't think anyone wants to be responsible for another person life or death for that matter. A few dollars out of your pocket isn't worth killing someone over in my mind! Put in a generator panel with the proper switching device.

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 06:52:09 AM »

:post: ^

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 07:25:52 AM »

Renoman, could you please explain to me how the nec approved  interlock kits isolate the neutral? The difference between a Panel back fed with an interlock switch and one without is the interlock keeps an idiot from having both on at the same time. Like I said before sometimes in life you need to be able to use your head.

ITO

• View Profile
Re: Transfer Switch or Interlock Kit?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »

I believe Reno's post refers to a manual transfer switch which does isolate the neutral, if you were a lineman or a family member of one you would easily accept that a transfer switch which also disconnects the neutral (manual or automatic) is the best choice, utility companies should all require this just for their own liability.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:45:22 PM by ITO »

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »

Isn't the neutral  grounded right after the meter and on the pole?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »

I have a manual transfer switch, push the handle up for utility power, pull it down for generator power.

Shop around and you can find em cheaper than listed at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-200-Amp-240-Volt-Non-Fused-Emergency-Power-Transfer-Switch-TC10324R/100150463?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100150463&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=100150463&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

ITO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »

Isn't the neutral  grounded right after the meter and on the pole?
The ground and the neutral are two different things after the service point, that's the customer owned connection. The utility side rarely uses a neutral, the grounding conductor is a mystery during a power outage, too many variables, all lines get intentionally grounded during emergency work. Way off the thread, sorry.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »

ITO, Yes I know that the ground and the neutral are two different parts to the electrical system. It was stated that if a transfer switch or interlock switch(or straight backfeeding with the main off) was going to have the potential to 'backfeed' the neutral back to the grid. But the neutral is actually grounded right outside the home, plus grounded at the pole. Additionally the utility company when working on lines while in a storm will ground all of their work as to not cause one of them to be hurt by someone backfeeding the grid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3