Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New home old custom boiler has leaks need help  (Read 5704 times)

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Custom
    • View Profile
Re: New home old custom boiler has leaks need help
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »

Worked good with reg pex and shark bite but then the pump wouldn't work with the thermostat box so I wired it to a plug and plugged it in I noticed it was getting hot so I unplugged it only to notice the 21- with wind chill had frozen my new pex solid inside the new pipe I ran because I couldn't get old pipes out of the steel pipe then since there was no water moving in or out of the boiler she went well over 250f and I blew a steam valve off the copper pipe attached to the boiler probably needed to be replaced anyways but what a pita any tips on what to do now by the way what is this thing I'm calling a steam valve lol looks like a small canister with a valve stem but hey now I know my psi doesn't go over 30 so the pex is all good thanks again

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

Never mind common sense kicked in air bleeder valve anyone know if its okay to wore up my pump on a switch instead on the thermostat box? It's a taco 007 model

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »

Is your system pressurized????  If it is regular pex is not an option
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »

If pressurized and you used non-barrier pex it should be fine if you just put treatment in the water like an open system. Most pressurized boilers don't use any treatment which is why the OB pex is important.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »

If pressurized and you used non-barrier pex it should be fine if you just put treatment in the water like an open system. Most pressurized boilers don't use any treatment which is why the OB pex is important.

True....  If he don't use treatment its gonna have a short life.

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks again got the pex lines installed had to run a pipe because I could get the old ones out of the steel pipe so ran PVC with heat tape for when they freeze and pour in fireproof insulation I had layying around I ran regular white sharkbite pex 180f at 100psi because I couldn't find the 200f stuff had to fiddle with the wireing in the pump alot gave me a scare stopped working temps went passed 250f got it back on pex and shark it's held up fine even at 250-300f my psi never goes over 20 no leaks or changes i was very surprised but thanks again guys

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »

Sheww wow

Are you going to put treatment into the system?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

Lol didn't see the second page things are so tiny on this iPhone I don't believed its pressurized i don't understand the concept but this is my first and the only own I've has and it's an antique there's no place to add an additive the water is off of my well pump I turn a valve and it fills and I bleed the system other than that the pump circulates the water at 20psi it's also the household water pressure seems to stay at 175f as long as the pump keeps going this is a very primitive model compared to the ones I've seen online the dampener /air flap? Is opened and closed by a level with a dial on it it's at 40 now one side of the chain was off I put it back on I don't think it works right now maybe I got the length wrong? Soo it wouldn't be pressurized would it? It needs a lot of work but at least it works now has a rust crack in the back soon to be a hole i will have to weld in a plate of steel on a nice day

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »

Water can only get to 212 degrees if it's not pressurized

Your boiler ain't gonna last you long with being pressurized and using a regular pex, unless u add boiler treatment
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »

Just read more of your post, yea...  I mean shoot...   This ain't good
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »

Well that sucks. Your right it is pressuriZed. Soo what type of additive would i need to find a way to add? Can I pour it in the expansion tank and screw it back on? How fast will this corrosion happen? Thanks again the existing crack and rust is not on the water jacket it's at the rear of the burn chamber

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »

I'm not sure without seeing where you would add the treatment.  But you need some boiler treatment, I have it available in quart sizes that treat up to 200 gallons..

The rust will start forming immediately, if o2 is in there, rust is happening

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Kingman719

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 03:45:52 AM »

Well I'm sure there's already a large amount of rust in there corrosion was the reason the old copper pipes failed I'm curiouse if I could just add antifreeze would fix the corrosion problem and I wouldn't have to drain it every time I'm not running it

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »

Yea you could use antifreeze, but you'd have to use it at a 50/50 level to protect it.  So if your boiler was 150 gallon you'd need 75 gallons of antifreeze.  Probably $700 worth
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 [2]