Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Corrosion Problems!  (Read 2790 times)

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
Corrosion Problems!
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »

Hey, I'll start this off by asking about black iron connected to stainless steel!

The sample diagrams that came with my stainless steel Wood Doctor show black iron piping at the back of the boiler.  Is this a good idea?  I have been told the black iron is sacrificial to stainless, meaning it will corrode before the stainless will that it is in contact with.  So, that's good . . . I can replace the black iron when it starts to get bad as long as it's not damaging my stainless!!

Or, is it?

Here's the thing . . . I've heard that stainless can become contaminated by other metals in contact with it and thereby loose it's resistance to corrosion!  So what about the corrosive debris  from the black iron coming back the return line and settling into the bottom of my boiler.  There it sits laying right on top of the stainless!

What's it doing?  :bash:

OBXNC

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Corrosion Problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »

You should use brass nipples to connect to the stainless outlet fittings!!

Jason

• View Profile
Re: Corrosion Problems!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 05:28:24 AM »

I used to be a sheet metal worker.  I left the trade because I did not like it.  Point is, when I was in welding class, they told us to keep seperate wire brushes for stainless and carbon steel because, just as you said, the carbon steel will contaminate the stainless and make a mess.  You are correct, sir.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA