Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Boiler Fill Water Nurse Tank  (Read 1795 times)

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Boiler Fill Water Nurse Tank
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »

I have really hard well water at the house.  When I put my boiler in, the lab called my water "liquid rock"  :o and did not recommend I fill the system with it.  I ended up hauling water from town and had to figure out a way to top off with the same hauled in water during the heating season.  I built this nurse tank and added an inlet on the outside of the boiler with garden hose threads.  Basically I hook the nurse tank to the inlet to top off the boiler.  I bought the pump at Harbor Freight ($40), the 15 gal tank at an auction ($1), a used washing machine fill hose, and a few plumbing supplies and scrap plywood.  I have $50-60 in it and haul water 5 gallons at a time to refill the nurse tank.  I store it inside my heated shop and wheel it out to the boiler with a 2 wheeled cart when necessary.  I also add some corrosion inhibitor to it to keep the levels up in the stove.  works pretty well and something I did not think of, I keep much better track of how much water I have to add to the system.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!