Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: M105 Military Trailer for firewood  (Read 7080 times)

robash9608

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Shop Built
    • View Profile
M105 Military Trailer for firewood
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »

What's y'all's opinion on pulling this for firewood? I know I'll have to extend my pintle up for the tall tongue of the trailer. I found this trailer on CL for $350.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: M105 Military Trailer for firewood
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »

I have been looking for one, but with the tarp cover still on it.  The one pictured has the deuce or 5-ton tires on it.  They also make one that has Chevy 8-bolt wheels on it.  I think they would work great, I don't see where you could overload it.  I was going to cut and fill and just park next to the stove.  I was estimating you could get 1/3 to 1/2 cord on it with the tarp cover.  Not that much w/out.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

It won't last long at $350.00

robash9608

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

This guy sells military items all the time, he currently has 3 of these. I'm going down this weekend to pick one up. Couldn't pass this deal up.
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

SKAMPO

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Nature Comfort
  • OWF Model: 175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

Build some extensions for the sides and front and that would be a heck of a wood hauler. Price is right also.  :thumbup:

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:20:48 AM »

I would be all over it at $350!! I have always thought these would make good firewood trailers but I have never seen one priced that low before.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Royal(in process of putting it in pole barn)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »

They work well, the only issue that my buddy has is that they don't dump like you figure they should.  His breaks just may need adjusted, but I think we are going to add a hydraulic cylinder to dump it instead of having to back it up to dump it.
Husky 353 w/20" bar

robash9608

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »

I've been looking for awhile now and finally found one in my price range.  I can't wait to get it!
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »

Nice trailer!..Def heavy duty it looks..What you gonna pull it with?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

robash9608

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »

I've got a 3/4 ton Chevy and a 1/2 ton Chevy. It may be to much for the 1/2 ton. It has air brakes and I've read if you take the air equipment off you'll shed about 300lbs. Also looking to install some lower profile tires to bring the height down.
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:01:21 AM »

Until this spring I owned two M105 trailers and a M35A2 (deuce and a half truck).  I used the 105 trailers for hauling firewood.  What I would do is fill one up, tow it home and park it under a big canopy I built right in front of my boiler.  This kept water off of my wood, the wood mess off of the ground, and about 1.5 cords of wood within a couple feet of the loading door of my boiler.  Also, I didn't have to lift wood up into the boiler either, just carry it from waist height and toss it in.  When one trailer got empty, I put the other one in it's place and then went and filled up the empty one.  They work great for hauling firewood...if you have the truck to pull them. 

They are heavy.  They're over 2,700 lbs empty and almost 4 tons loaded.  The pintle height is much higher than almost anything commercial and even on a 3/4 ton truck the tallest pintle plate available is still too short to raise the pintle hook high enough to level the trailer.  When you get to that kind of height anyways, the way it's loaded will easily bend/roll the hitch of your truck even if it's a class V and it will be very unstable in the side to side as well.  Keep in mind that these trailers are also quite top heavy loaded with firewood.  They have a relatively narrow track to them on tall narrow tires.  The beds start almost 3' off of the ground and can be loaded 4' high. 

I have a 3/4 ton diesel Suburban.  I would haul these trailers empty back to my wood pile at my parent's house to fill them up and then bring them home with my deuce.  I built a special bumper and hitch combo with a tall pintle plate on it so I could have the proper height for pulling these trailers level.  2,700 lbs isn't much to pull with that truck without brakes on it and I simply used a set of magnetic trailer lights when I towed it like that since the stock lighting is 24v for use on military vehicles and it's a special plug anyways.  One time I got in a pinch where my deuce was OOS and I had to use my Suburban to haul the wood home.  I kept my speed under 40 mph the entire way and it was still very scary.  The brakes on the Suburban did not like to stop that kind of weight and the trailer kept trying to push the rear end when I turned.

They're great trailers but honestly unsafe to haul firewood in unless you're going to use a medium duty truck or larger to tow it.  If you must have one, good luck finding lower profile tires to fit those rims.  They're 20" tubed rims.  The lug pattern on the rims is also special since they're lug centric 6 lug rims where the only application of that pattern I've ever heard of outside of deuces and military trailers was on early 70's Ford MDT's.  The only best option for towing one of these guys with a pickup truck is to replace the entire axle with something that sits lower to the ground and has electric brakes.

Look at the M101 trailers if you want something pickup truck sized.  They don't dump despite what the ads you'll see will say they do.  You can use the trailer's parking brakes and folding capability to sort of make it dump, but it's easy to bend the frame of the trailer doing that and you usually wind up smashing the tail lights too. 

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »

Is the M101 the trailer they pull behind the Humvee size vehicle?
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

robash9608

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »

I plan on buying a deuce in the near future. I could not turn the price down for the 105. I have been looking for the 101 but can't find any that are close to me. I'll just keep on looking and hopefully I'll find one soon. That is a good idea of installing an axle with electric brakes and smaller diameter wheels. I had a friend come across some wheels that would interchange with the lug pattern of the 105. He installed the wheels and put some lower profile tires on them and lowered the trailer a good bit.

Hopefully, I'll put some welding and fabricating skills together and modify the trailer for my use.
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »

Is the M101 the trailer they pull behind the Humvee size vehicle?

The HMMWV's pull a slightly different trailer but about the same size as the M101 trailers.  The M101 was mostly towed by the M1009 (K5 Blazer), M1008/M1028 (K3500's), and other similar utility vehicles.

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »

I am using one sort a like that mine is an ammo trailer with wheels on the outside. I took it and had it filled with coal and covered top with plywood and have it sitting right beside boiler