Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nasty black stains  (Read 2969 times)

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Nasty black stains
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »

I`m sure many if not all of you have those nasty black stains below your door on you OWF.  After thousands of dollars invested in the boiler it really bothered me to have these stains come after the first fire. Its like getting a new car and your first drive you run through some tar with it getting all over your new ride. I tried a couple clearners and the stuff didn`t budge. Well I found some stuff that took it off with little to no effort. It`s made by Meeco`s  Its called Red Devil Glass cleaner. Its for glass doors on wood burners. Great stuff. Works great on the smoke film above your door also. It costs less than $7.00 a bottle. Highly recomend it. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:07:46 PM by Pit Crew »
North east Ohio
Since 1960

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty black stains
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »

Lol ya the black around the door can aggravating, and for the money it should get a coat of wax, I give the whole unit a good cleaning every Sunday morning.  Welcome to the OWF club
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »

Thanks, Mines going under roof  on Monday, will post some pics Monday eve.  I will deffinately be taking care of mine. I was visiting a guy that has the same unit as mine. He has had it for 7 seasons and the thing looks like crap. Even has some rust starting on the siding. Never been cleaned.
North east Ohio
Since 1960

johnybcold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:09:03 PM »

Roger you are a clean freak too ya gonna chime in???
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:33:08 AM »

Roger you are a clean freak too ya gonna chime in???

Johnyb - During fall, winter and spring when I'm using it, the only thing I clean really good are the primary air holes (Every Saturday morning) in the firebox and the elbow at the solenoid in the rear (Once every month) and I scrape the heat exchanger with a home made tool (Once a month).   Plus, by cleaning the primary holes every week I know if there is a problem with air flow, I can with near certainty rule out plugged primary air holes. 

As for the exterior - In the spring when I'm buttoning it up for the summer, I give the thing a thorough cleaning using Simple Green.  I spray the stuff on, let set for about 10 minutes and simply (no pun intended) wipe off.  Everything from top to bottom is thoroughly cleaned.

Yeah, I may be going a bit overboard regarding cleaning the thing but I figure if I'm going to dish out that kind of cash, I had better take care of it.  I don't have the resources to replace it every few years due to negligence on my part.

How's your OWB running for you?  Last week we had 4 or 5 days in a row where the temps never came out of the 20's and the creosote build up I had been experiencing was nearly nonexistent.  I didn't have to spend much on the air holes.
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

johnybcold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:41:30 AM »

Mine is still running good the wholes seem to stay cleaner now that the temps are up, I am heading out for my weekly cleaning now, I just picked up a allmand back hie so I am during to dig holes
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO