Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: First fire tonight in my Heatmaster MF5000E!!!  (Read 16562 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
First fire tonight in my Heatmaster MF5000E!!!
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

Got her lit about an hour ago, I'll let you guys know how it
performs!  It does burn very clean, I can already tell that!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: First fire tonight in my Heatmaster MF5000E!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:43:38 PM »

You are going to love it. I started one for a customer last evening and after 10 minutes he was convinced it had went out but after looking again it was just burning that clean. Heat Master has done a really good job experimenting on how to get air above and below the fire to get that clean burn. Keep us posted.   
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »

You are going to love it. I started one for a customer last evening and after 10 minutes he was convinced it had went out but after looking again it was just burning that clean. Heat Master has done a really good job experimenting on how to get air above and below the fire to get that clean burn. Keep us posted.

hey, on the two sliders on the back, where do
you typically set them?  I have both of mine set about half
way
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »

That sounds about right, I've experimented with them in several different locations. I have customers giving me different accounts of what works well for them. From what I can tell so far about half way on both is good for dry wood and half on top and wide open on the bottom is better for green wood or coal. I enjoy experimenting with it and seeing what difference it makes. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »

:)  WOW.    I am impressed. 

Last night I built my first fire in it with some cardboard and a small arm load of seasoned sycamore that was split up pretty fine.  It took it roughly an hour to get to 155.  I then went back out to the stove last night around 9 and put in one piece of seasoned sycamore roughly 10" diameter, and beside of it I laid about a 10 pound lump of coal.   

All night long I kept telling myself I didnt put enough wood in the fire, lows here were in the 30's.  However, I noticed the fan in the house wasnt running longer each time as it would when the fire is cooling down.  So at 9:30 I went out and was amazed at what I saw, the 10" sycamore piece was about 70% gone and the coal was still burning as well.  Most of the small pieces of sycamore were gone but it was a longggggggg ways from going out! 

I am really impressed with this unit, with the fully adjustable air control on the back I'm looking forward to playing with it.  I have them both set about half now and its performing great, if you open the door with the fan on you can clearly see what a big difference the air blowing into the top of the fire makes.  I know it's not a gassifier, but it's very impressive to how cleanly it burns with the fan on. 

Looking forward to a longggggggggg cold winter!
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:05:16 AM »

How about a comparison with the NCB-175?
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

ELEproducts.com

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »

Hello everyone!  I too have a HeatMaster.  MF3000.  My house is ~ 2000 sqft.  Western red cedar siding, two story, 2x6 wall construction, so the insulation is decent.  I started my first fire last night about 6pm.  It was up to ~ 140F in one hour.  I have a conservative nature and will only cut/use trees that are dead.  Anyway, what I am getting to is, I had stuffed maybe 3 sticks of very dead white pine and 1 stick of white oak, equally as dead.  All 4 stick were on average 6-7 inches diameter and all had lost their bark long ago.  I fully expected a reload in about 1 hour.  Was I wrong!  That thing burned all night with the inside thermostat set on 74.  I went out about 7 am the next morning and there was nice bed of red hot coals waiting for another refill of 4 sticks.  Very impressed.  As of now I love it!  Very little smoke too.  I will also post more info and data as I continue to gather it.  This forum was very informational for me in the decision to purchase one of these stoves and hope I can contribute to help others. 

Thanks,

Shawn     

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »

How about a comparison with the NCB-175?

I'm not ready to draw those comparisons yet.  We'll see as the course of the winter goes on.  As far as I'm concerned the 175 is a very good stove, it's by far my favorite out of the NCB line up.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:18:45 AM »

Getting the same results with my CB. Restocking once every 24 hours. (4 pieces-split-approximately 4" round) There is at least two pieces left from the previous stocking.

It seems to make two burns in those 24 hours to get the water back up to temp. Of course I can't say "NO Smoke" But the burn times are only 10 minutes and with my location (on a ridge) the smoke does not linger long.

ELEproducts.com

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »

Product Development, stage 2.  (prototyping) I have a Heat Master MF3000.  Out of the box it works very well.  I am impressed.  The objective is:  Eliminate the firing cycle completely (this on and off thing with the draft motor and solenoid) .  To do this will require a P.I.D. (proportional integral derivative) controller, designed from a 8 bit microprocessor and circuitry that can offer varying speed of the outdoor furnace fan induced draft from the factory installed Single-phase AC induction motor, either shaded-pole or split-phase type,  along with a type K cold junction thermocouple providing closed loop feedback of the water temperature.  These motors can be successfully controlled with PWM switching circuits.  The P.I.D. controller would be self learning, knowing the soak time and ramp time needed to maintain a near constant water temperature taking into consideration ambient temperature and different combinations of wood and moisture content. 

This would be a KIT product for most any outdoor woodburner/coal with forced draft.   Outdoor wood furnace are single-stage firing that is either firing at full output (Plus or minus the setting from the mechanical flipper valve inline between the blower motor and point of entry into the fire box.) or completely off, a outdoor furnace with variable firing can give you the right size furnace for the majority of the heating season.

Any interest in something like this?

Thank,

Working Smarter, Not Harder :)
Shawn

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »

Sounds really cool.....and really expensive! Any idea on a dollar figure for something like this?
Muskoka, Ont

ELEproducts.com

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

It’s too early to project a cost.  Actually, there is not a lot in terms of tangible hardware $$.  Mostly labor in writing code.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »

Would be interesting to see what it does but my guess would be that it would use more wood and make a lot of creosote.
If you still have it cycle but come on slow and turn off slow it might clean up most of the smoke.

ELEproducts.com

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »

There is no cycling involved.  P.I.D. is closed loop.
1. Proportional; looks at the present error.
2. Integral; looks at the past error.
3. derivative; looks at present and past errors to make a forecast.
4. The forecast value is applied which is the speed of the draft blower motor, which controls the burn.
5. go back up to step 1 and do it all again.

Error is: deviation of set temperature and actual temperature.

Maybe think of this as the governor on your gas or diesel generator, where the speed is controlled at a constant value to provide the 60Hz independent of various electrical load demands inflicted.  In this outdoor stove product, speed is substituted with water temperature in the boiler being controlled.  Controlling volume of draft using varying speed blower to maintain this set temperature without overshooting / undershooting set temperature.

Shawn 

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »

There is no cycling involved.  P.I.D. is closed loop.
1. Proportional; looks at the present error.
2. Integral; looks at the past error.
3. derivative; looks at present and past errors to make a forecast.
4. The forecast value is applied which is the speed of the draft blower motor, which controls the burn.
5. go back up to step 1 and do it all again.

Error is: deviation of set temperature and actual temperature.

Maybe think of this as the governor on your gas or diesel generator, where the speed is controlled at a constant value to provide the 60Hz independent of various electrical load demands inflicted.  In this outdoor stove product, speed is substituted with water temperature in the boiler being controlled.  Controlling volume of draft using varying speed blower to maintain this set temperature without overshooting / undershooting set temperature.

Shawn
Sounds pretty interesting.Have you done any actual trials yet?Just wondering if your still in the design stage or if you have a prototype out there working?You should start a new thread on your controller setup.More people would see it in a new thread.Let us know what you got going on :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: [1] 2 3