Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wiring Aquastat and fan relay  (Read 14876 times)

robash9608

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Shop Built
    • View Profile
Wiring Aquastat and fan relay
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »

Just wondering how would I wire my aquastat and fan relay together?? I've bought a honeywell Well Immersion aquastat and an Enclosed Fan Relay(picture attached) . I also have a 110v/24v transformer, I was told that I needed that for the aquastat. I have no idea on how to wire this up so maybe one of yall would have advice on how to do this.. I have searched the net for a diagram on how to wire the relay but haven't had any luck.
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

parkinspot

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring Aquastat and fan relay
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »

What are you trying to do exactly?  Are you planning to use the aquastat and relay to turn on your furnace blower and still use your gas for a backup?  If so then I have a much simpler solution.  All you need is a Honeywell 6006 (or equivalent SPDT) aquastat.  Place ther aquastat somewhere in the line coming from the boiler before it goes through any of your heat exchangers (this will give you a more accurate temperature reading).  First, connect the "W" line from your thermostat to the Common or "R" terminal.  Next, connect the "W" line from the furnace to the "B" contact.  Then, connect the "B" terminal to the Blower terminal on your furnace (Note: do not remove the existing connection from the thermostat to the furnace for the blower or you will not be able to manually turn on the blower).  The idea is that when the water from the boiler is above the preset temperature (most people use 100F) the "W" or heat signal from the thermostat will get routed to the blower terminal on the furnace, and when the water is below 100F it will get routed so your furnace will use the gas burner for heat.  This way you do not need separate thermostats.  I attached a schematic to help clarify.  Hope this helps

robash9608

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Shop Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »

Thanks for the help!!
Husqvarna 272xp
Husqvarna 55 rancher
Stihl 261
Homemade 30 ton splitter
Shop Built Furnace

Pieman43130

• OWF Brand: Greewood
  • OWF Model: 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »

These instructions did not work for my setup.  Blew the board fuse.  I have an ecobee3 stat. 
CLH

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:55:30 AM »

I don't see why it wouldn't work? Perhaps somewhere the polarity got crossed? Maybe RSI or Shepard boy will chime in, they are both very good with low voltage, I typically do it with line voltage and a relay.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:53:51 AM »

What are you trying to do exactly?  Are you planning to use the aquastat and relay to turn on your furnace blower and still use your gas for a backup?  If so then I have a much simpler solution.  All you need is a Honeywell 6006 (or equivalent SPDT) aquastat.  Place ther aquastat somewhere in the line coming from the boiler before it goes through any of your heat exchangers (this will give you a more accurate temperature reading).  First, connect the "W" line from your thermostat to the Common or "R" terminal.  Next, connect the "W" line from the furnace to the "B" contact.  Then, connect the "B" terminal to the Blower terminal on your furnace (Note: do not remove the existing connection from the thermostat to the furnace for the blower or you will not be able to manually turn on the blower).  The idea is that when the water from the boiler is above the preset temperature (most people use 100F) the "W" or heat signal from the thermostat will get routed to the blower terminal on the furnace, and when the water is below 100F it will get routed so your furnace will use the gas burner for heat.  This way you do not need separate thermostats.  I attached a schematic to help clarify.  Hope this helps

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »

It shouldn't blow a fuse as long as nothing was shorted to the C wire.

There may have been some confusion due to the same letters in multiple places.

You need remove the W wire between the thermostat and furnace and  connect the W wire from the thermostat to the R on the Aquastat.

The B on the aquastat needs to connect to the W in the furnace.

The W on the aquastat needs to connect to the G in the furnace.

I usually disconnect the G wire on the thermostat so someone doesn't flip it to fan and overheat the house. If you want to keep it working, leave the G wire connected to both the furnace and thermostat as well as to the W on the aquastat.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »

I usually disconnect the G wire on the thermostat so someone doesn't flip it to fan and overheat the house. If you want to keep it working, leave the G wire connected to both the furnace and thermostat as well as to the W on the aquastat.

My wife did that to me shortly after i installed our first one. Was picking corn late one night and came in about three in the morning, about died two steps into the back door. Was real cold that night, had my Carharts on, a heavy hoody and insulated boots, house was 87 degrees. walked around after stripping opening windows and doors. Made sure in the AM I made it perfectly clear she was to never to touch the fan switch again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:10:32 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »

Lol.

I forgot to mention in the last post that some systems do need the G wire connected to the thermostat to work properly. If you disconnect it, try the backup heat to make sure it still works ok. Seems to be mostly heatpump systems that I have seen that need it.