Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: WOW!!-14 Hour burn time unheard of before  (Read 4099 times)

Mr. Maple

• OWF Brand: Empyre 450-sold,P&M BL 4044- sold,now Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 20000e
    • View Profile
WOW!!-14 Hour burn time unheard of before
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »

Loaded two wheelbarrow loads of wood into the furnace last night,wasn't sure how much to put in.Temperature here fell to minus 4 Fahrenheit,minus 25 with the wind,it is deadly out there.Wood is cut to roughly 18" lengths,went to the furnace after bus runs and chores at the barn,still big bed of coals,plus a couple blocks that were charred but not broken to coals yet,could have gone a couple more hours.With the first furnace two loads would have lasted roughly 8 hours,second furnace THREE loads would have lasted about 7 hours. This furnace is the best,congratulations Heatmaster!

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: WOW!!-14 Hour burn time unheard of before
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »

That's awesome! But how is it doing this? You are talking at least a 100% increase in burn time+. In my mind that equal a 50% increase in effeciency. I am not doubting your observation but what is making this furnace so effecient?

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »

Great to hear.  8)

Are you using the same quality/type of wood?

Green versus seasoned wood is a big difference as well.
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »

I’m just guessing here, but I’ve seen a MF2000E in person, two wheelbarrow loads would barely begin to actually fill it, so a smaller fire with a lot of heat exchange area.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Mr. Maple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:56:52 PM »

I think mlappin hit the nail on the head, a lot more heat exchange area,plus a lot more volume of water to ease the stress on the fuel load during cold snaps/wind chills.The wood is actually mostly green, as I have been trimming out a fence row on days it isn't so cold, throwing in limbs and everything since the doorway is so big.

woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »

Mr Maple will you please explain what your heat load is. Also is there a way for you to get a exhaust temp reading when the boiler is firing?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »

I think mlappin hit the nail on the head, a lot more heat exchange area,plus a lot more volume of water to ease the stress on the fuel load during cold snaps/wind chills.The wood is actually mostly green, as I have been trimming out a fence row on days it isn't so cold, throwing in limbs and everything since the doorway is so big.

Yep, built in thermal storage.

I have 450 gallons of thermal storage in the shop in a form of a waste oil boiler built in the fall of 2014.

I installed a Tekmar differential controller to only add heat to the 450 gallons and not pull any back out, got it hooked up last night and had a lot more wood left that I would have thought after we got home at noon today. Before in milder weather it would idle forever with a light heat load as 700 gallons of water had to cool off before it’d cycle, longer idle times equaled more creosote. I’m gonna add a switch before the shoulder season so I bypass the controller and can go back to just heating with waste oil and transfer all the heat into the G400 so it can still heat the house.  Think as well since it doesn’t have to reheat 700 gallons thats at 160 wood use went down. Even if the shop water gets down to 165 and the boiler starts another cycle, thats 5 degrees less that has to be added back to 450 gallons of water.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Mr. Maple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »

Woodman,how do I calculate heat load? I am assuming square footage?

woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »

When I say heat load I meant how big of an area are you heating at what temp which may or may not include dhw. The reason I am so curious is I am to the point with my heat load and my boiler that I am somewhat undersized. When it is zero out at night, multiple morning showers pull more btu's than I have capacity for after 12-14 hours. I thought it was more effecient to be slightly undersized during a small portion of the season rather than oversized for most of it, but from what you are seeing that may not be correct.

Loglivin2

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:51:28 AM »

Glad to see a good furnace comparison post from somebody that had actually owned 2-3 boilers.  Gets under my skin when a member drinking the kool aid makes claims that brand "x" "they can guarantee burns less wood" than others, and it's their first time using/owning a boiler. It'd be like me saying "I can guarantee my c-250 burns less wood than all those other brands but truth is all I know is my boiler seems easy on wood cause I have absolutely nothing to compare it too. Sorry for the rant . Just saying  :bash:

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »

Glad to see a good furnace comparison post from somebody that had actually owned 2-3 boilers.  Gets under my skin when a member drinking the kool aid makes claims that brand "x" "they can guarantee burns less wood" than others, and it's their first time using/owning a boiler. It'd be like me saying "I can guarantee my c-250 burns less wood than all those other brands but truth is all I know is my boiler seems easy on wood cause I have absolutely nothing to compare it too. Sorry for the rant . Just saying  :bash:

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »

I have MF10000E now.  Yes, I'm happy with it and Yes I've owned other boilers plus have much experience with friends and family boilers.  All different brands and designs.

Mr Maple, glad you are happy with your boiler.  Part of my decision was based on your experiences with other brands that you've had on the same property and same heat load comparisons. Thanks.

I''m kind of a "modder", someone who has to modify everything they buy to make it "better".  But, I don't have any plans for this boiler because it is just right the way it is.

Happy burning all.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.