Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Solenoid/Flapper  (Read 1548 times)

jwolfe3

• View Profile
Solenoid/Flapper
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »

I see that a lot of people like the flapper/solenoid. I have a few questions though...I have an ACME 340 and we heat two houses off of it. I know that in the early fall and late spring, we have a lot of problems with creosote. I think that the flapper would help this, but wouldn't it put out the fire if there was not a little bit of draft to keep it lit? Especially when it starts getting warm and the fan kicks on very rarely during the day time? Thanks in advance for you thoughts on this!

jcc273

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
Re: Solenoid/Flapper
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »

I have hardy that has a flapper solenoid setup.  There are a few very small holes in the flapper to allow a little air in when closed.  That is enough air to keep it smoldering even in october and april.  I don't run it before october or after april so not sure how it would do then.

I know when i replaced my blower i didn't have the gasket on quite right between the flapper and blower and there was a tiny gap and just that tiny gap was enough to make my system overheat in December and boil the water, so it doesn't take much air at all to keep things runnin.

However, i am not sure if the flapper would help with creosote as it is the cooling of the gases that will cause it to build up which is a result of not running full bore all the time.
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

stumpysfab

• OWF Brand: Acme
  • OWF Model: 340
    • View Profile
Re: Solenoid/Flapper
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »

Just thought I would drop in to talk about the flapper/solenoid.  I also have the Acme 340 and just got it fired up this past Saturday (3-1-14) I am impressed with how easy it is (so far) to run this thing. However, after getting home today from work I noticed steam comming from the overflow pipe. Sure enough.......the chain running from the solenoid to the flapper got twisted and was holding the flapper open about 1/2'. Enough to cause a boil over. So far can't find anything wrong after fixing the chain. So just a reminder to look at those things once in a while. other than that this thing has run flawless. My flapper rests completely on the intake when not open and so far hasen't put the fire out. Yesterday  was 45 deg all day and it stayed lit. 

Thanks for the great site!