Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: waterside paint/coatings?  (Read 3224 times)

paperman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
waterside paint/coatings?
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »

Is anybody painting the water side of their tanks?  Im specifically looking at the zone above the water level.  The steel in that area is seeing very damp air at all times.  Seems it would breed rust.  I was thinkiing of flooding the tank and just using a stand pipe for level but that may not work real well.  Is it an issue or am I over thinking?  I had planned on making the top of the tank removable.  The tank would have a 1.5" angle welded in place and the actual tank top would bolt on with RTV seal.   

peacmar

• View Profile
Re: waterside paint/coatings?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

Way over thinking my friend, stand pipe and fill it full is the best way. And from my experience, rtv does not hold up..... Just make the top solid.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »

i just cut  my home made boiler open (due to premature rot from inside the firebox from my own stupidity)

The inside of my water shell and the water side of the fire box shows NO corrosion. this after 10 years of operation and only used chemical treatment for two of those 10 years
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

The information for this is in my informational thread here:

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0

It is because the water gives up all the dissolved oxygen at 180 degrees, and does not re-absorb it until 140 degrees or so. If you keep it above this temp, no oxygen is present in the water to allow corrosion to form.

themaddhatter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: homemade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

i just cut  my home made boiler open (due to premature rot from inside the firebox from my own stupidity)

The inside of my water shell and the water side of the fire box shows NO corrosion. this after 10 years of operation and only used chemical treatment for two of those 10 years

What happened to your firebox?  Get too hot?  Too thin?  Ash corrosion?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »

[
What happened to your firebox?  Get too hot?  Too thin?  Ash corrosion?
[/quote]

i decided to line part of the fire box with fire brick and a guy at work gave me bunch. i thought they were from a smoke stack....turns out after the fire box corroded through where the fire brick were, i asked where they came from...turns out theye were used ot line an acid pit! dumb me for not asking first. anyway the only place there was any corrosion was w under the brick and inside the water jacket both the fire box and the water jacket look as good as new
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada