Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Season New Water?  (Read 3136 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
New Season New Water?
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »

Im going on my third season of heating with my H4. I was wondering if you guys do a total water exchange before the beginning of the year or you keep with the same water? I have never added any type of boiler treatment to my water, does anyone use something for water conditioning in their Hardy? My H4 has a steam leak around the stack where the water jacket and firebox meet so I have to add water every week or so. I am sure that throughout the season I end up with a total water exchange. In past my water had elevated Iron content and was a little bit elevated on the hardness scale, PH was right around 7.0. I added a water softener this past summer to take care of those issues.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: New Season New Water?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »

Hardy dont use chems and your right u normally add so much water it really dont matter, if u did add chems they wouldn't last long anyway

I wouldn't worry about it
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »

Get silicon and seal the seam between your stack and water jacket. What yr is your hardy? It should have an auto fill unless it is a really old model.... I dont use any water treatment. I have a water softner system but that is basically for Domestic water, still not a bad option running it threw the stove..
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »

Mine is a 1991. It does have the auto fill option but I decided not to utilize the option since I would have to run an extra line out there just for that. In the house I have a ball valve T'd into the return line to the stove that I use to fill the stove when it needs extra water. I would take the top off a silicone the opening back up but I had the boiler spray foamed and it would be a huge pain to try and make that happen, so I just live with it.

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »

"I had the boiler spray foamed" run that by me please. how does that work, I have an H-4 also, but, I believe it is an "03"
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »

He remove factory installation and sprayed it with spray foam insulation I'd say
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »

Yes, I removed the Stainless cover and had a spray foam guy spray the entire water jacket with spray foam.