Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New build plan, looking for suggestions  (Read 15516 times)

dave_dj1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: New build plan, looking for suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »

It looks great so far! One thing I would consider doing is adding some sort of feet to help support the rear of the firebox, maybe you could tack them to the floor of the water jacket?

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »

I gave a lot of thought to this, but with the stack coming out the top, we needed the room to be able to squeeze the water jacket over top and then slide back for the stack to stick through enough to weld it on to the water jacket.  There wouldn't be any clearance with legs in place, so we upped the front plate to 3/8" thick to better support the weight of the firebox.  I didn't want to run the flue out the back due to heat loss issues and having to fab up an internal 90 turndown, plus I didn't want to have 2 90's in the stack.  I think with 3 passes around the firebox and the stack, I should have enough weld strength (hopefully) to support the firebox.

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »

OK I lied--I figured it would be a couple more days before I would get a chance to work on it because of my work schedule.  I worked a 12 hour night shift last night and when I pulled in the driveway this AM my father-in-law pulled in behind me ready to go to work.  We went after it all day today and got the firebox welded in solid to the front plate and got the hole cut for the flue in the water jacket.  I loaded it up on the front-end loader and proceeded to fill the firebox with water to test for leaks.  Luckily there weren't any.  Then, I used a trash pump to suck out the water and we proceeded to torch a few holes in the water jacket for the water return lines (I'm planning on adding a second loop for my shop in the future, but for now they will just be capped off).  I also pressure washed the inside of the water jacket to get it ready to weld in place on our next day of this adventure (probably middle of next week.)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:19:22 PM by Jd79 »

dave_dj1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »

sweet! :post:

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »

Water jacket fitted up and tacked into place.  Things are coming along well :-)

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »

Looks good, do you have legs on it yet?

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »

Not yet. It pretty much looks the same as the last photo except the water jacket and chimney have been welded in completely now, instead of just tacked in. Between weather and my work schedule, I haven't had any time to work on it.

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »

It's coming along, just difficult to find time to work on it with weather (been rainy a lot lately here) and my work schedule.  Legs are now tacked together, ready for welding tomorrow.  You might have to stand on your head to get the full effect since it's upside down right now.

Firebox door opening cut and door frame tacked in place:

Better view of firebox opening (20 1/2" X 20 1/2"):

Opposite side view of legs/support structure:

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »

Looking real good,  Thanks for the update.

Those legs look plenty solid.

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »

Well, it has been awhile since I posted.  In fact, I couldn't find my original thread without searching under my previous posts.  For some reason, it was removed from the list of posts on this forum??  Work on the boiler pretty much came to a halt as summer got here and I always found other things to do with my time.  True to form, I am back to racing the clock to get this boiler done before winter gets here.  I poured two 8" thick concrete slabs to set the boiler skids on and placed it where I wanted it to sit.  I got the door figured out and finished (the latch is removed in the photos below) and painted it with high-temp paint.  I insulated the door with fire bricks and expanded metal tacked over it.  Time will tell if that helps keep the door from warping.  I started welding together the frame to hang the sheet metal on a couple of days ago, and I'm a little disappointed that I didn't make the frame for the door deeper so that I could have left some room for firebox insulation.    Instead, I have my doghouse frame sitting right up next to the front plate of the boiler.  Live and learn I suppose.  I had to leave clearance to be able to adjust my latch and hinges if/when the time arises to do so.  I am doing basically a flat roof with a 1” per foot rise over the length of it (to shed water) because I didn’t want a roof peak with the chimney and vent pipe sticking out—I figured it would be too hard to fab up the frame and make it look right and be functional.  I had the only local wood boiler guy I could find come out to quote me some prices for installing the duct coil and plate heat exchanger, but I think, after our conversation, that our philosophical differences on design are going to prevent him from doing the work.  I am looking for someone to install what I want, not what they think I should have.  An example of this is how his underground line-set he builds himself has one-piece pipe insulation around both pipes together, and shoved into corrugated pipe.  No separation of the lines from one another, and he insisted that the largest lines he installs are 3/4” pex.  I told him I wanted 1” true ID pipe, so I wanted 1” pex-al-pex at a minimum.  He tried to convince me that he puts 5/8” lines in most of his installs and pushes 11 GPM through it.  (I tried to not roll my eyes as he was explaining this to me.)  I tried to tell him I wasn’t interested in going that route, but he insisted he had the experience to tell me what I needed.  I guess I’ll continue looking for someone to do it the way I want it done.  I can’t afford Logstor, so I contacted a foam contractor about foaming in the trench and foaming the boiler water jacket.  The price I was quoted was $800 to do the job.  Still not sure what I’m going to do about this yet.  He also told me that a 5x12” 20 plate was way overkill for my domestic water.  He wanted to install a 3x8” 10 plate, even though I told him I was running it in series to my duct coil and didn’t want to obstruct flow.  I guess I’m just a little frustrated and needed to vent some.  Sorry to ramble so long.  On to the pictures:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:12:20 AM by Jd79 »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »

I tried to fix your picture links as when going to photo bucket site they said they didn't exist.

The easiest way to post pictures is to paste your link in the thread from Photobucket, Picassa, whatever, highlight the link while left clicking, then click on the Image icon in the top of the editor.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:32:09 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »

Yeah, I was working on fixing that when you posted.  For some reason my original img src command wasn't working.  I re-did both of them so I think they are good now.  Thanks!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »

You spend enough on a pump and it could force 11 gpm thru it.  Hydraulic systems force up to 20gpm thru half inch hose. Of course if it's sized right, smaller cheaper pump that won't use near the juice. Sounds like your guy is one that will give OWB's a bad name eventually.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »

We'll hello  I haven't been to this site in quite sum time and enjoy seing some great builds out there  yours looks great and is coming along  rule of thumb on pex go as big as you can this way you don't have to find a circulator that has to fit in the range of head pressure  and gpm that is created by smaller lines . Alsodoes  your chimney go down in firebox 2/3 rds  didn't see in pictures you want it so the draft won't  suck the heat and smoke out to fast .. Also when it goes deep in box near coal bed it acts like a gasifier . Igniting smoke as it exits 

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »

The build looks great! Very impressed I have a question how did you Att.. The firebrick to the door I'm trying to modify an existing furnace I have and one of the challenges is insulating the door I don't think it will be to bad to do being that most of the bones are already in place.

Thanks looking forward to seeing more pics
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)
Pages: 1 [2] 3