Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Replacing damper actuator on HE5000  (Read 2611 times)

oldchenowth

Replacing damper actuator on HE5000
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »

I posted a request in electronics on how to replace the Honeywell actuator for the damper.  Well, after 2 suppliers I received it yesterday and replaced it today. 
1) Do it on a warmer day if possible (mistake #1 for me)

2) leave plenty of time for dumb mistakes.

3) don't drop the nut for the mounting bolt into the burn chamber.

Remove the top of the old actuator first to remove the breather tube.  Wires are to short to pull the tube out and disconnect.  Stubby Phillips was the only fit.
Be aware that the replacement part is smaller than the original.  the 1002 is replaced by a 1030.  It is about 2" shorter and the bracket welded on the tube is for the taller unit.  I had to make a bracket to attached to the original bracket.  Easy enough but unexpected in sub zero weather kinda sucked.

The new one opens way farther than the old one.  There may be an adjustment, but I am not that smart .  There is plenty on room for it to open 90degrees and not hit or bind.

The wiring is also shorter than I like for the replacement actuator.  It reaches but needs a different connector that is straight up and not at a 90.  This will be done in the Spring, not today. 

I also replaced the induction fan motor while I was at it.  Mine has been not starting, just a hum.  Spin the fan to get it started and it runs fine.  Luckily I had one because I noticed this about  month ago and ordered one to be done this Spring.  Yeah, whatever!  Make sure you check the length of the shaft of the one you order.  My old one was a most 2" longer than the new.  Fan mounting bracket needed to be tight against the face on the motor.  No venting on that face.  Had to open up the through hole for the shaft to fit the flange of the motor housing, and fan is all the way at the end of the shaft.

I need to go back in the warmer weather and silicon seal everything because mine froze up in the tube and would not come out.  No big deal, just a wisp of smoke now and then.

I know most of you think this is basic elementary stuff.  I had never done it and don't want someone to have some surprises when it is their turn.  I really couldn't afford to hire it out anyway as many other guys can't either. And sub zero is not the best time to experiment if you don't have to.  If someone has a question on theirs, I got a couple photos I could send if you want.  Mostly so I will remember for next time.  I will have another fan motor and actuator on hand next summer for the next time it happens.  Hopefully make at least another 4 years before I have to do it again.