Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Is it worth the trouble  (Read 3238 times)

mildot1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Is it worth the trouble
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Building a "homemade" unit.  Will be close to 18" of free space from rear of firebox to rear of water jacket. Thinking of running the flue horizontally from the fire box out the back of the water jacket for a clean out but cutting a saddle inside the water jacket and bringing the flue pipe out the top of the stove.
 I want to grab the free heat off the flue to heat water so I am also thinking of wrapping the vertical portion of the flue pipe with 1" copper tube to bring my return water in thru.
 Would return water to top of jacket into copper coil heading down around flue pipe then turn the copper back up so it exits at top of water jacket.

Would then send water back to house from bottom of jacket to keep circulation flowing in tank.

Thought's?

Thx

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth the trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

Building a "homemade" unit.  Will be close to 18" of free space from rear of firebox to rear of water jacket. Thinking of running the flue horizontally from the fire box out the back of the water jacket for a clean out but cutting a saddle inside the water jacket and bringing the flue pipe out the top of the stove.

I want to grab the free heat off the flue to heat water so I am also thinking of wrapping the vertical portion of the flue pipe with 1" copper tube to bring my return water in thru.
 Would return water to top of jacket into copper coil heading down around flue pipe then turn the copper back up so it exits at top of water jacket.

Would then send water back to house from bottom of jacket to keep circulation flowing in tank.

Thought's?

Thx

Ayuh,.....    I understand the flue pipe/ clean out bein' within the water jacket of the boiler, that's a Great idea,...

The copper tubin' confuses me through,...
Ya need some heat in the stack to promote the draft,....
Put in a damper, 'n slow it abit,.... inside the jacket,...
Heat the water in the copper tubin', inside the jacket too,...
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.

96coal449

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth the trouble
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »

Thought's?

Thx
i'd bring the return in through rear of water jacket at bottom, and direct towards burn. pull hot water from a vertical stand pipe, installed through bottom of water jacket. place opening of stand pipe aprox. 2/3 the way up. this way your water circulates and draws hottest water. leave the copper out of it, unless you make a copper heat exchanger for solar heating boiler water. that would allow dhw using boiler during summer with no fire lit  ::)