Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Final EPA ruling  (Read 15370 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Final EPA ruling
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »

I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about the new regulations yet.  The EPA published the new standards on the 3rd.  They aren't as strict as they had proposed.  It looks like all companies have less than 60 days left to build non qualified furnaces.  All remaining units must be sold by December 31 2015.  All phase 2 boilers meet the first phase (5 years) I believe.  Check it out here: http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/fact-sheet-summary-requirements-wood-fired-hydronic-heaters
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: Final EPA ruling
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:20:18 AM »

What is a phase 2 boiler?  So the standard boiler companies have 60 days to build out the rest of inventory, and they can sell them up to December 31.  This could get interesting.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about the new regulations yet.  The EPA published the new standards on the 3rd.  They aren't as strict as they had proposed.  It looks like all companies have less than 60 days left to build non qualified furnaces.  All remaining units must be sold by December 31 2015.  All phase 2 boilers meet the first phase (5 years) I believe.  Check it out here: http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/fact-sheet-summary-requirements-wood-fired-hydronic-heaters

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:09:54 AM »

Well there you have it folks, we all knew it was coming! Anybody care to take bets on how many small manufacturers this will put out of business, how do you as the consumer get any warranty on a stove produced by one of those small manufacturers who can't afford to get his unit approved and closes the doors? Do you guys know what it costs to get a unit approved and the time frame it takes to do so, let me say this, $20,000 may cover the cost of the initial testing if it passes the first shot, then add in the cost of shipping the unit to the lab and back, a man to run it at the lab, meals, hotels and travel, preliminary testing at the factory before sending it to the lab, the cost of the boiler itself and OH let's not forget the research and development stage, Isn't Government great? Now let me say one more thing, the last unit that I had anything to do with testing was the Enviro 500 wood chip boiler for P+M, it passed on it's first run using dry wood chips ( because the feds wanted to meet that dry wood benchmark ) 6 months later the feds came back and said, OK we now realize that what you said at the lab about there being no dry chips in the market place is true so now please return to the lab and retest using green, above 40% moisture chips, it again passed on it's first run, all expenses were the responsibility of the manufacturer, it took 4 days from first firing through the 4 runs, the numbers were all there for the EPA's review, from start to finish it took the feds 1 year to read the 2 tests and approve the tag. How many manufacturers do you think will now close the doors because of the bull sheet that government has rammed down our throats, do you wonder why I'm a proud Libertarian, these people will never stop period
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:37:44 AM »

Our government is too big and corrupt.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:31:25 AM »

Does burning pure coal in an outdoor boiler really cause less pollution than burning wood?  Or is there just a better coal lobby than wood lobby?
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:10 AM »

One more step closer to the American people's breaking point. 

Carm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:39 AM »

Burning wood will be allowed when they find a way to tax it.
Freeland, MD

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 12:07:41 PM »

>:( :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :'( :-\ :-[ ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »

Well there are a few things to blame here.
The big one, The EPA
two everyone who thought their boiler was an incinerator for garbage
Also those who had a couple acres with close neighbors and burned wet wood and gave them neighbors something to complain about. Of course the the EPA is enforcing it which sucks big time!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

buckgrunt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »

I am curious to see what a "lumber crib" is as opposed to testing it with regular fire/cord wood. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

Does burning pure coal in an outdoor boiler really cause less pollution than burning wood?  Or is there just a better coal lobby than wood lobby?
byproduct of coal is arsenic
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »

Jwood I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  The EPA does not give a flying puck what ones neighbor thinks.  Go ahead and try and complain to the EPA and see how far you get.  This has to do with three things:  money,money,and money.  Call up the EPA and tell them you don't like the smell of your neighbors Chevy.  Do you think they care?  Nope
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 06:32:51 PM »

Jwood I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  The EPA does not give a flying puck what ones neighbor thinks.  Go ahead and try and complain to the EPA and see how far you get.  This has to do with three things:  money,money,and money.  Call up the EPA and tell them you don't like the smell of your neighbors Chevy.  Do you think they care?  Nope

I don't think I once said people were complaining to the EPA directly that's not how it works! It starts with town meetings, township meetings, city council meetings etc. What is brought up at those meetings is what goes to the next level. Enough people complain they will find a way to change what's allowed. Just like (your neighbors Chevy that has loud exhaust) and now there are vehicle noise laws because enough people thought it was a problem. The EPA is all about enforcement. It wasnt a guy working there sitting in a suit who came up with the idea to ban OWB because I would bet no body working there has never delt with a boiler.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »

well said!
Central MD

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »

I don't think I once said people were complaining to the EPA directly that's not how it works! It starts with town meetings, township meetings, city council meetings etc. What is brought up at those meetings is what goes to the next level. Enough people complain they will find a way to change what's allowed. Just like (your neighbors Chevy that has loud exhaust) and now there are vehicle noise laws because enough people thought it was a problem. The EPA is all about enforcement. It wasnt a guy working there sitting in a suit who came up with the idea to ban OWB because I would bet no body working there has never delt with a boiler.
[/quote] well said Jwood! :post:
Aitkin, Minnesota
Pages: [1] 2 3