Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To repair or to replace?  (Read 9199 times)

GCTerpfan

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
To repair or to replace?
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »

I have an 18 yr old CB classic that started leaking into the fire box about a month ago. It's a small leak and I have just been nursing the water level until it warms up at which time I was going to have it patched. Today I noticed that there is now a small leak on the opposite side of the firebox. Both leaks are in the middle of the walls, they are not at a weld.

I also stumbled across the add for a 6 yr old CB (not sure if it's 4436 or 5648 model) for 2500 dollars. The stove is supposedly in excellent shape the owners are moving is the reason they are selling.

So, is the old stove worth trying to fix or should I go check out the new stove which seems like a pretty good deal? My brother in law is a very good welder and I have full faith in his welding abilities. I'm just afraid there isn't enough metal in the old boiler left to be able to fix it.
Garrett County, MD

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: To repair or to replace?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »

The guys more familiar with this make will probably chime in, but given its age plus the obvious wasting of the firebox I'd think the end can't be too far off.  Patch it and keep running it, but have that used spare ready to step in on short notice.
Muskoka, Ont

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

I'm not a metal expert, but I'd have to say your suspicions are right. I don't think you'll have any material to weld on to.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you're aware that the EPA is about to put the smack down in conventional stoves. So, if you're into the conventional style I'd recommend starting your 18 year time over again and getting a new stove. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »

After 18 years of service I'd say that furnace has more than paid for itself. If it has now leaked on both sidewalls of the firebox as you described, I too would guess the metal has eroded away and is very thin throughout. Even a good welder may blow right through the thinned metal when trying to repair. I'd invest new. You never know how the used one was taken care of.

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 02:09:23 AM »

Boilerman you are spot on.   If you can buy a new one while you still can and get the size you really need for you use
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »

Considering:
1. EPA Phase II
2. It's pitted elsewhere if it has sprung a leak once.
3. At 18 years it's probably seen better days.

I'd say it's time to replace it. Shop around, furnaces have changed a lot over the years.

GCTerpfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »

To follow up with this:  I called a family member who is now retired but was a CB dealer for almost as long as CB has been around.  He actually claims to be the reason CB moved the damper to the door, It's on the side of the firebox in my model.  He is also a retired metal fabricator and he currently heats his house by burning coal in a CB  that he cut the bottom out of and added shaker grates. (Long story short, he knows both metal working and these stoves really well.)

Anyway, after explaining to him where the leaks are occurring on my stove he told me that there are two "stay-bolts" that are welded between the water jacked and the fire box for support.  He believes that the welds that are on the backside of firebox wall could be causing the leaks and that there is still a pretty good chance that there is enough metal left in the firebox wall to fix the stove.  He has convinced me to hold off until I shut the stove down for the summer, and then clean it up and take a good look at repairing it.

If I end up being able to fix it this summer, I will post some pics of the process.
Garrett County, MD

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:17:57 AM »

I have heard of the "stay bolt" issues before. There may be a good chance of repairing it but..... It is still 18 years old. Only my personal opinion here so don't take it the wrong way, if you plan on heating this way for the next 18 years and financially able or close to it, why not replace it while you can with the model you want instead of waiting until summer and finding out you have to replace it with what is available and not necessarily the exact model you would prefer? Good luck either way.

agriffinjd

• OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:22:49 AM »

I have heard of the "stay bolt" issues before. There may be a good chance of repairing it but..... It is still 18 years old. Only my personal opinion here so don't take it the wrong way, if you plan on heating this way for the next 18 years and financially able or close to it, why not replace it while you can with the model you want instead of waiting until summer and finding out you have to replace it with what is available and not necessarily the exact model you would prefer? Good luck either way.

I tend to agree with Crow.  Plus, if you still repaired, you'd either have a spare OWB, OR even better, one that might increase in value on a black market starting in 2016...  ;)
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

GCTerpfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 08:33:45 AM »

Don't worry, the only things I take the wrong way are the things my wife says (apparently). 

There are several reasons for keeping this one going.

1. The used stove I looked at wasn't really what I wanted. I will be keeping my eye open for a great deal on a used stove this summer though for a future replacement.
2. Wood boilers are technically already outlawed in MD, so the new EPA regs don't really impact me like others, I can't buy a new wood burner anyway unless its Phase II, and I can buy one of them at anytime if this stove completely craps out. 
3. Buying a new stove right now was going to be a stretch financially, it was kind of a relief to know there was at least a chance I could repair this one. I have already told my wife who is a part time waitress that she might have to pick up an extra day to start contributing to the "new boiler fund".   :)
Garrett County, MD

Crow

• OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »

GCT, sorry bout that. I never even considered where you lived to be part of the equation. I keep forgetting about some states being phase 2 already while others are not.  :bash:

GCTerpfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »

GCT, sorry bout that. I never even considered where you lived to be part of the equation. I keep forgetting about some states being phase 2 already while others are not

No Problem, If I didn't want opinions, I wouldn't have asked the question.
Garrett County, MD

GCTerpfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:34 PM »

So the used CB 5648 I looked at last week for $2500 ended up being 9 years old but was in decent shape. I eventually decided to pass and to fix mine instead like i posted above. However  I just saw that they dropped the price  to $1800.   They want to sell it before they put their house on the market. I am considering making them an offer of $1000 for an eventual replacement of my stove even if I do repair mine. My question is if they do accept the offer and I have the stove sitting around for 2 or 3 years without burning it is it going to rust apart and not being any good when I do need it?  I assume I should keep it full of treated water but the water would not be circulated and I wouldn't be burning it. How hard would just sitting there be on the stove? I hate to pass it up if I could get an eventual replacement for my stove for $1000.
Garrett County, MD

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 03:26:56 AM »

You could do as I do here, I have 2 units piped together in parallel so that I can switch them out to try another any time I wish. The second boiler could simply be your storage tank.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

oldchenowth

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: WoodDoctor
  • OWF Model: HE 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 05:03:40 AM »

I look at it from a tool point of view.   Always have a spare spare if you can afford it.  A backup burner for a reasonable price is never a bad thing and a back up for the backup is anticipating your needs before they arise.  My barn is so full of anticipated needs I can barely move.
Pages: [1] 2