Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU SRAPE YOUR FIRE BOX WITH?  (Read 2362 times)

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
WHAT DO YOU SRAPE YOUR FIRE BOX WITH?
« on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »

I am looking for a better tool to scrape creosote from my fire box. right now it's an ice chipper that I put a sharp edge on the blade. Someone must have something good for this.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT DO YOU SRAPE YOUR FIRE BOX WITH?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »

I am looking for a better tool to scrape creosote from my fire box. right now it's an ice chipper that I put a sharp edge on the blade. Someone must have something good for this.

Hi duramax - How do you like your E-Classic 1450?  How long have you had it?  I'm starting my 6th season with my CB E-Classic 1400.  All I've ever done is scrape the all of the weld joints.  Once most of the heavy build-up is removed, I then attack them with a wire brush attached to my drill.  I've never scraped the walls, only the thick built-up stuff; it simply would take too long and too much effort the walls and ceiling.  I'm not afraid of work but there is a limit to what my shoulders can handle.  Once I'm done servicing everything else, I coat the entire firebox with motor oil.   During the heating season I never scrape anything clean, I only remove the built-up creosote that may be blocking air coming from the combustion air holes.  Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer their $0.02 worth.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

duramax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »

This is season 2 for the boiler. I like the 1450, had the usual learning curve as far as when to load it cleanout ashes etc. This is my 1st OWB, before this I ran a small wood stove. I gave the 1450 a good scrape down over the summer to get it all cleaned out. It was fun getting in there with a putty knife. I never bothered to oil it down this year. I ran it on weekends burning skids to heat the hot water for laundry, dishwasher and showers. Pain in the neck with all the nails but a good magnet took care of that.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 06:07:41 AM »

The 1400 was my first OWB too.  I used to heat the house with oil but when the prices reached the point where it cost more to heat my house every year than it did to pay my tax bill, I had to do something.  I tried a wood stove but all that did was heat one room and everything else was cold, plus, I had a chimney fire that scared the dickens out of me.  So I found a CB dealer who set me up with what I needed and settled on the E-classic 1400.  The 1450 wasn't available yet from CB when I purchased the 1400.  I believe the 1400 is no longer available. 

As for cleaning, again, I never scrape the shiny, black, thin layer of creosote from the walls, just all of the welds at the end of the heating season.  But I do saturate everything with new motor oil.  I use new motor oil due to it not having any of toxins it that used crankcase oil has in it. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

hockeyguy

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: eclassic e2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 04:51:51 AM »

I'd love to find an all steel hoe or scraper. I'm sick of burning wooden handles then having the ends fall of. lol  Let me know if anyone knows where I can get one.
Ducati Multistrada
Polaris Sportsman 500
Central N.H.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 05:41:12 AM »

I'd love to find an all steel hoe or scraper. I'm sick of burning wooden handles then having the ends fall of. lol  Let me know if anyone knows where I can get one.

hockeyguy - CB sells an all steel hoe to use in the firebox.  Mine came with my E-Classic 1400 when I purchased it.  If i have time I'll see if I can get a part number for you.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 08:40:52 AM »

Yea we got the boiler because the house was cold,  we could not afford to keep it warm with propane. The wood stove helped at night but a cold house when we got home got old quickly. We got a few cards and phone calls from our propane dealer wondering why it had been a year since we had a delivery ;D We will see when we call them, still have a gas stove and dryer, but now my wife loves to use a clothes line.