Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: E1450 not doing the job  (Read 2001 times)

Handyandy

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: edge 1430
    • View Profile
E1450 not doing the job
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »

Just purchases a home with a two year old CB eclassic 1450 in the back yard.Took me 8 hrs just to clean it! Had to top off the water level,I figure probably 100 gal.Turned on the power and taco pump on the furnace wes leaking..no biggie -replaced it.This thing as far as I can tell was plumbed using a loop with heat exchanger and 2nd taco pumpin the house at the boiler. The second pump was making a lot of noise so I also replaced it,I also installed a ball valve on each side of it for future use.I think they installed this thing the cheapest way they could because there are no other shutoff valves or bleeders anywhere!  Problem is outdoor furnace is keeping the water at 190 degrees just fine,but I dont think the water is circulating like it should.Boiler still comes on and hot water is not keeping up.

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
Re: E1450 not doing the job
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »

I would start by making sure that  you indeed have flows coming out of the pumps and then check the heat exchangers to see if they are possibly plugged.  What has been your experience with an OWB?  Since you think it was plumbed the cheapest way possible, are you sure that anyone did any calculations at all on what the system can provide for heat?  It is going to be hard to tell, but if you have access to an infrared temp gauge you should be able to verify some readings pre/post exchangers.  you may not be getting the correct flows with the pumps if they weren't sized correctly for head.  Really need some more info before giving too much advice.  Good luck!

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: E1450 not doing the job
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:42 AM »

Just purchases a home with a two year old CB eclassic 1450 in the back yard.Took me 8 hrs just to clean it! Had to top off the water level,I figure probably 100 gal.Turned on the power and taco pump on the furnace wes leaking..no biggie -replaced it.This thing as far as I can tell was plumbed using a loop with heat exchanger and 2nd taco pumpin the house at the boiler. The second pump was making a lot of noise so I also replaced it,I also installed a ball valve on each side of it for future use.I think they installed this thing the cheapest way they could because there are no other shutoff valves or bleeders anywhere!  Problem is outdoor furnace is keeping the water at 190 degrees just fine,but I dont think the water is circulating like it should.Boiler still comes on and hot water is not keeping up.

Handyandy - Knowing you had to add water, before you go too far, check the water quality.  CB sells a kit where you can check it at home.  My guess is you'll have to add a corrosion inhibitor sold by CB.  I don't think the problem is with the 1450 for you state the water heats up to 190.  I'm guessing here but I assume (uh huh! :) ) there's a flat plate heat exchanger between the 1450 and the indoor system.  Do know if it's ever been flushed?  It may be plugged. Do have a way of testing to see if the water is getting through it?  Is it hot to the touch?  Do you know if you have opposing flow through the heat exchanger where the OWB flow is opposite the indoor system?  You'll have better heat transfer that way if you do.  Other than the heat exchanger being plugged, the system between the OWB and house may be air locked.  If you can figure a way to get the air out of the lines, we can then work from there.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire