Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: G200 cleaning  (Read 3200 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
G200 cleaning
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:53:09 PM »

Hi guys, cleaned out some of the ashes from my G200 Saturday since they were getting close to the bottom of the rail that holds the side panels. I used a hook to check the holes in the bottom of the rail. In case you were not aware, combustion air comes through the panel holes on the sides and slots in the bottom of the channel that holds the side panels up. I was reminded it is important not to block these holes in the channel as it can adversely affect the combustion process.

I remembered cleaning them out on the G400. They were blocked with creosote that had run down the inside of the panels and hardened in the channel. I found the holes on my G200 to be the same way. I proceeded to remove all 7 panels (3 each side and front one also) and clean everything up. The panels are harder to remove the longer in between cleanings also. You will want to clean the upper channel that holds the side panels at the same time so the panels are easier to remove. I still had some coals in the bottom but I would suggest removing all coals first (less hot and smoky that way).

Something to keep in mind for year end clean up as well.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: G200 cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:12:38 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only "intended" area for primary combustion air to enter the upper chamber is the holes halfway up the panels. It is my understanding that the slots cut in the bottom rail are for expansion and contraction.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:08:05 AM by hondaracer2oo4 »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:46 AM »

You are correct, that is the intention however there will be some air pulled through those cut outs as well.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »

I was reminded from the factory about the holes in the bottom channel. They advised not to let the ashes get high enough to block the rectangular slots in the bottom channel as it could adversely affect the combustion process.

Think about how the combustion air is drawn into the primary combustion chamber. It enters the primary combustion chamber in the center of the front panel and then is drawn into the first panel on each side where there are 2 round holes in the panel (only one hole on the G400) and one slot in the bottom (if I remember correctly the bottom slots are larger on the G400 than on the G200). All the side panels have edges on both sides except the front panel. The main way I see the combustion air getting to the second and third panels is by going up and over the top of the panels. This will also help in preheating the combustion air as it travels over the tops of the panels then down to the holes and slots (each panel has at least one slot in the bottom of it) . I don't see how the slots would be for expansion since they do not go completely through the channel and are welded on both sides of the slots. If there were concerns over expansion of the bottom rail there would have to be complete slots all the way through the channel and there aren't any.There may be some air that leaks by the edges of the second and third panels but if creosote fills these gaps then no combustion air would get to the end panels if that were the only way there. Having primary combustion air at the base of the fire (coming through the slots) where the coals are also makes sense to get the coal bed burning even better gasifying the wood above it. This is all primary combustion air that I mentioned here. The rest of the combustion air (secondary) is drawn into the two tubes behind the air actuator then through the refractory where it is greatly heated up and introduced into the venture slot with the smoke from above and down into the secondary burn chamber.

I was also advised last year from the factory about keeping the slots open on my G400 for good air flow because I had questioned why the G400 only had one round hole in each side panel and the G200 has two. I have no doubt it took much testing to determine the correct size air openings for the holes and the slots to get the proper efficiencies and emissions to pass EPA tests.

Factories advice- keep the slots open.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »

I have never taken the panels out , I wasn't even aware that they came out? I always clean my stove out at the end of the season , ie all ashes out top and bottom and take apart the fan and clean under the stack and above the turbulators. Slim came down this fall and made my slots bigger but he said it was really clean the way it was. So all the panels on the inside of the fire box come out?
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »

I was under the understanding that those holes at the bottom was
To let any condensation that condensed on the firebox wall behind the channel had a
Way to exit out of the bottom. When I said that the holes were for expansion that related to the fact that the manufacturer payed the dealers to come out and cut that slot completely through so that it isn't connected to the rest of angle iron to keep from cracking something during expansion and contraction. Slim maybe can shed some light on the original intention of the holes.

Big al yes the panels come out. Slide them up towards the top then the bottom clears the channel and you can pull the panel out. I had very little creosote behind them so the curtains work well there but I did have a lot of built up creosote in the bottom rail and top rail making it difficult to get the first panel out. I also removed that front panel that diverts air in each direction towards the curtains. I think it was worth doing at the end of the year since both areas has come creosote.