Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Earth Energy 190  (Read 16429 times)

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
Earth Energy 190
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »

Having problems maintaining a temperature.  Have it set at 160, I can have it full of wood and it varies between 165 when it finally gets up there.   This morning it was full of two year old hedge wood and the temp was only 110. Any ideas on what is happening here?

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Energy 190
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »

Was there still wood in the stove this morning when you checked it? How long have you been running this stove? Is there a good coal bed in it to help get the fire going when it calls for heat? You mentioned that the wood is two years old.  Has it been split and stacked for 2 years?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »

Run a chimney brush down your chimney pipe. If I keep a 10 degree diff and set 150-160 also using my stock 18inch chimney I have 0 issues with chimney pluggage.

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »

Yes there was wood in it.  I'm on year three with these stoves.  I have one and my father as one.  My fathers is the one that we are having problems with.  We both are burning the same wood that has been cut and stacked drying for 2 years.  Mine is maintaining temperature just fine my fathers well that's another story.  They are straight inline with each other and about 500 ft apart.  With the damper open it works fine but burns a lot of wood.  If I close the damper that's when I have the problems.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »

Unplug the pump and let it come up to temp. Should come right up to 180 in less than an hour. After it comes up to temp, plug the pump back in and see what the return temps back to the stove are.

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »

What is the best way to measure the temps?  Infared thermometer?  I've measured before and usually don't have more than 2-3 degrees heat loss.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »

I use an infrared thermometer to measure mine. I always measure at a point that insulation is covering, just pull back the insulation for the reading and hold the infrared thermometer inline with the pipe to get the most accurate reading. I have found if you hold it perpendicular to the direction of the pipe the sensor has a hard time picking up what it is sensing.

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »

Okay so I've been babying this stove along since I last posted.  Yesterday the high was 23 here.  When I check the stove Saturday night the temp was 150.  I put three 6 inch pieces and one 24" piece split in half.  Yesterday morning the water temp was 92 degrees.  There was still wood I the stove and it was burning.  The highest the stove ever recovered to was 142 in a eight hour period with the pump running.  If I unplug the pump it usually takes several hours to recover.  Now I'm looking at two different possible problems. Could I have to big of pump or too small of one?  Dads running a 3 speed pl36 pump. Or could it have something to do with the heat exchangers as we both have different ones?  I'm lost

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »

We really need to know the temps of the lines. If we don't know those numbers we will only be guessing. Are these seasoned pieces of wood you are burning? There should be no sizzling when they are burning. Green wood reduces the btu output of each pound of wood to about 50% of dry wood equivilant.

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »

There is a 10 degree if between the lines.  143 out going and 134 incoming. No sizzling dried wood have burnt wood for 20 years never had a problem untilwe bought outdoor boilers and the pumps are nrf-36 not pl 36

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »

Is that 10 degree delta t with all zones calling for heat? Did you try unplugging the pump and letting the stove come up to temp?  I assume you have made sure th boiler is full of water, th fan is blowing hard with nothing obstructing it, flue and chimney are clear?

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »

Yes that's with all zones calling for heat.  By unplugging the pumps which I did today it still took three hours to get from 123 degrees up to 160 where we have the stove at.  We've used a fiber optics inspection camera and found no blockage in the system.  I did the inspection way before I started asking questions.  If I put the stove in the gasification mode that's when I get no heat.  If I put in bypass mode which is like a normal stove I can get better heat but I'm burning losts of wood to maintain that heat.  Where our other stove runs with no problem in gasification mode buring the same wood from the same pile.  This is why I'm so confused.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »

Stupid question but is you inducer fan not putting out the cfms?

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »

Yes it is.  Blowing just like the other stove which is the same model and both are set the same.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

I am not familiar with the earth gasser but it is obviously not transfering the heat from the heat exchanger to the water. What is your stack temp?
Pages: [1] 2 3