Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heat exchanger  (Read 6724 times)

Jackman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Heat exchanger
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »

I understand that the OWB water does not mix with the indoor oil fired boiler, what I don;t understand is how does the heat exchanger work ..... and does anyone have pics of the heat exchanger?

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: Heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »

I use a flat plate heat exchanger to keep the water separated. I have also used shell and tube heat exchangers in the past and they seem to work well also.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »

I understand that the OWB water does not mix with the indoor oil fired boiler, what I don;t understand is how does the heat exchanger work ..... and does anyone have pics of the heat exchanger?

Jackman - My Central Boiler E-classic 1400 is plumbed through the oil furnce.  The water line from the OWB comes into the house, through the thermostatic valve and then it enters the oil furnace through the T&P valve.  Simply remove the T&P valve, in its place put an iron pipe "T", the T&P valve connects to the "T",then connect the pex from the OWB to the remaining port on the "T".  My home computer has pictures of what it looks like.  I'll post them to show you how it was done.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »

Jackman - Here are the pics I promised to post that shows how my OWB is plumbed through my oil furnace.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

Jackman - Here are the pics I promised to post that shows how my OWB is plumbed through my oil furnace.

I guess I show explain what the pics show.  The first one is of the OWB plumbed through the oil furnace.  The black thing that's connected to the green pex pipe is the thermostatic valve.  Central Boiler insist that it be in place or it'll void the warranty.  The second pic shows the how the return is plumbed. 

The reason for going through the oil furnace is if the OWB's fire is lost for some reason the oil furnace will take over.  Plus, it acts like an early warning system for me.  If the fire is lost and the oil furnace takes over I have plenty of time to get to the OWB before I lose any hot coals that may be remaining making the rekindling of the fire much easier.   Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »

It depends on your system if it is a good idea to use a heat exchanger or just plumb direct. If your indoor system is under warranty you would most likely void it completely by depressurizing it.
Also, depending on how it is setup it may cause it to not work quite right.

Plumbing it in direct has some advantages. It will save you about $500 and possibly have one less pump burning electricity.

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Effecta
  • OWF Model: 35kw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

It depends on your system if it is a good idea to use a heat exchanger or just plumb direct. If your indoor system is under warranty you would most likely void it completely by depressurizing it.
Also, depending on how it is setup it may cause it to not work quite right.

Plumbing it in direct has some advantages. It will save you about $500 and possibly have one less pump burning electricity.
exactly, also it adds lots of fresh oxygenated water to the boiler, which speeds up the cast iron heat exchanger corrosion in the house boiler, so 8-15 years before they go. You can't use air vents on anything above the OWB water line also. This also voids most pump warranties as well. Its never a good idea to convert a pressurized vessel to an open loop system.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »

My OWB was installed professionally by someone contracted by my dealer.  I test the water for corrosion and ph level and everything is operating within the guidelines of the CB manual.  My CB dealer is well aware of my setup and one would think he would have said something if it at all would void the warranty.

If there is anything I should be questioning my CB dealer with, please, let me know so I can do so.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

When at all possible I would not depressurize a system.  Like Hydronix said when you depressurize you will get oxygen into your boiler system. My standard rule of thumb when installing into any type of system is to leave the current system intact as much as possible.  There is a reason they are designed to run the way they are, often you can decrease efficiency when you start making changes.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »

My CB dealer buddy has installed both ways and has explained to me, there are advantages to both. First of all, you have an open system furnace sitting outside, so there is always oxygen. That is the purpose of the properly maintained corrossion inhibitor, to protect the furnace metal, pumps and all existing compontents in the loop, by driving oxygen out and balancing PH and Nitrite levels. When you use an exchanger you will usually lose 10-15 degrees of water temp in the heat transfer and spend anywhere from $300-$500+ for the exchanger. Yes it is unintrusive and the least distruptive to the existing system. Probably the best way to go if you have old piping or lots of zones and/or pumps in the return line.

By plumbing direct, you eliminate the water heat exchange loss, matching degree for degree in your boiler and save the cost of the exchanger and installation. Pumps need to be moved to the supply side of boiler and if you do have any automatic air bleeders in line, they will need to be locked down. Typically they require at least 10 lbs of pressure or they will allow air into the system and create air lock problems if not closed off. Your piping needs to be tight with no leaks or air locks again could be a problem.

Roger, if your system is running well and plumbed direct, I would not worry about it. You probably saved money and are getting maximum degree for degree heat transfer.
Do your water tests as recommended. I feel I lose less than 1/4 inch of water per year to evaporation, so I rarely need to add water or require additional inhibitor. Never had a corrosion problem in 11 years of owf use either. If you were to run straight water in an open system, yes you would have problems throughout.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »

Boilerman, thanks for the reply.  I'm glad to know that the installer wasn't pulling a fast one on me. 

The first pic shows a ball valve that's closed a bit.  When the installer did this, I question why and he said it is to keep the oil furnace system pressurized. 

Have a great weekend everyone.  The weather looks like motorcycle weather to me so I'll be gone most of the time.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »

Any time an "installer"  voids another appliances warranty is wrong, I don't care of the heat exchange advantages. Its unethical. If there is a 10-15 degree loss of exchange then he did it wrong. Use the correct HX. All too often OWB design is compromised by the seller or installer for fear of loosing the job because of the increased expense to do the job right. We do many pasteurizers and they require large plate exchangers to maintain temps for health saftey. If thats what is needed to do the job right then this needs to be explained thoroughly to the customer. Instead his oil boiler with a 30 year warranty is void, so too are all the pumps unless they are bronze or stainless. Same goes for the cheap underground supply pipes, cheap it out to get the job. Its sux loosing a job but atleast you know your work is right and your workmanship is covered by your insurance policy and most important your customers interest and investment is covered as well. Insurance does not cover non code compliant work, same as manufacturer's warranties. If you read some boilers I&O manuals they state must be installed by licensed or qualified installer. It always cost more up front to do it the right way, but it saves you soooo much in the long run, not to mention peace of mind.  Some of those OWB treatments are not for cast iron boilers, only the manufacturer can tell you this. Just like the boiler seal voids all indoor boiler warranties. I have never seen a well informed customer say , "yes I want to void my boilers warranty by cheaping out on some components." or " well if you just use this much less expensive underground pipe you can save half the money, but you will have to burn twice as much wood, and you might have a soggy puddle in your yard, and your OWB will have a hard time suppling anything over 160* to your house. But you will save lots of money on the pipe". There is nothing cheap about hydronic heating except for long term cost when done right. Anytime somebody does something like this, only gives the wood fuel industry a bad name. The industry needs to protect itself. By the way are there any zones located above the water level of the OWB, like a second floor?

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »

Hydronix makes some good points. My advice would be to do your homework before doing anything direct without a heat exchange. Just because a outdoor furnace dealer ( who is desperate to sell you a furnace) tells you it can be done without problems doesn't mean you should check with the manufacturer of the indoor boiler to see what the effects would be.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

Hydronix, whats wrong with feeding a 2nd floor with an owh direct plumbed open system?

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:33:25 PM »

http://www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Details/Magazines/pdf/idronics_10_us.pdf

You can read a good explanation of the effects in this link. Since Caleffi and a few other experts have come across so many simple problems in the OWB world they came out with some nice info and suggestions to help protect the industry. Since the majority of OWB are DIY installed, they should also arm themselves with good info to protect their investment. Anything above the water level can cause boiling, pipe banging, air entering the system from a vacuum or sub atmospheric pressures.  Many times the owner/ repair man just reduces the temp because they can't figure out what is going on. There is a chart there with height and pressure changes in the system and vapor pressure & temps to low temp boiling. Plenty of system diagrams for proper design and electronic control wiring. They also have webinars on equipment & design how toos.
This is a perfect example of why the other guy was more expensive, but he should have done a good job explaining why it needs to be done. With the market so tight the last 5+ years, salesmanship and justifying your quote cost is more important than ever. Most OWB customers are going the extra mile to own one of these units and have done "some" research. But all too often they get the majority of their info from one salesman, and have no clue on the important details of safety and performance aspects of the system. How many posts have you read, where they are replacing components or burning way more wood than they should, as a direct result of installation or component issues. Spend it now or spend more later. Sometimes the best customer is a well informed one. Thus understanding why the good guy cost more.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:47:57 PM by Hydronix »
Pages: [1] 2