Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 20 degree heat loss advice wanted  (Read 7497 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: 20 degree heat loss advice wanted
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »

Yeah but in 20 years he will be retired in the Bahama's and with that much beer and popcorn with no exercise you'll be smelling daisies and dirt
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »

Thanks Slim!  I do pride myself in hard work, as do most of us who burn wood.  I've made other posts on this forum about what "free" means to me. So, I won't go there again.  But, in short Mr. Victor, yes, I work for free. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »

There ain't nothing in this world thats free, self respect and LIBERTY can come at a high price, I'll take it!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

idahohay

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »

woodburner, If you want a cheap infrared thermometer try Harbor Freight.  I got one and would say it is definitely worth the money but can be touchy to use. Have never used a good one so can't honestly compare.  Another inexpensive route to take is cooking type thermometers installed so that they make good contact with the pipe (foil tape then pipe insulation) Maybe not super accurate but a good indicator of temperature difference.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

There ain't nothing in this world thats free, self respect and LIBERTY can come at a high price, I'll take it!

I am not opposed of cutting a little wood here and there for some exercise. But, if I had a choice I would rather make my home efficient first and then buy the OWB and cut a lot less wood than I would have to if my home was inefficient. :post:

buckgrunt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »

Ah Yes........The word  FREE !!!!  My second favorite 4-letter "F" word !!!!!!  Ain't nothin free people.......I once had a work aquaintance ask me for a cord of wood for his fireplace.  He figured that since I cut my own firewood, it was "free" and therefore would not be big deal...I don't need to tell you all what my response was........ Our freindship never blossomed !!!

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »

Like I said, I've addressed "free" before.  Halfway down on this page:  http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=4124.15  Don't want to dirty up this thread anymore.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »

Maybe a better term is "return on your investment". The better windows and insulation will cost more dollars and cents which are easy to see. Cutting more wood is less dollars and cents if you already own the land and don't add the cost of buying it. I will be getting my wood for " free" right behind my house next year. It's not my land so it didn't cost me anything other than the actually work and supplies, saws, fuel, oil etc. My wood will end up being cheap compared to land that I would have to buy to have "free" wood.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »

Maybe a better term is "return on your investment". The better windows and insulation will cost more dollars and cents which are easy to see. Cutting more wood is less dollars and cents if you already own the land and don't add the cost of buying it. I will be getting my wood for " free" right behind my house next year. It's not my land so it didn't cost me anything other than the actually work and supplies, saws, fuel, oil etc. My wood will end up being cheap compared to land that I would have to buy to have "free" wood.
free wood is free...unless of couarse as some free wood is...you cut a load for me and load for you...of even completely free may not be so if all of a suddn you are taking twice th e free wood the owner thought you were going ot be because you have suck a leaky old barn..just saying the guy looing out the window who does own the free wood mayhave second thoughts and he can change the rules anytime
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »

Even if you own land for wood you still pay taxes on the property every year so its not a big difference versus one lump debt of windows and insulation. Not trying to be a smartass but
making the home efficient makes the best sense especially if you wanna stay there forever. This is almost like tossing a tarp on a leaky roof situation but this is a heating issue. I hope you solve the heating issue.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:38:23 PM by victor6deep »

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »

could there be water touching you lines in the ground somewhere.just a thought
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »

Willie, the guy who owns the property is one of the largest turkey producers in Ontario. He's building 5 barns beside my house, I changed my zoning which allowed him to build the barns. I think I'm ok in his woodlot. My family used to own the land also. I usually go around the 3 farms beside me every year and push all the dead trees that have fallen into the field back into the bush. I don't take the wood though, he's given me permission to take whatever I want now. Exactly what I was hoping the "free" work would get me some day.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »

nice to have a wood supply that good and close too..congrats :thumbup:
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

stratton

• OWF Brand: D.S. MACHINE
  • OWF Model: D.S.Aqua Gem 3200 INDOOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 02:50:03 AM »

Dave
Did you get any answers from your heating pro????
I felt your pain, last yr my old boiler could not keep up.  I bit the bullet installed a bigger unit. MY FAULT!!!!
House this am is 75….. lovin life!!
fairfield ct - wardsboro vt

woodburner85

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: MF-10000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »

thanks for all of the replies,  I have been out of town so I haven't been able to check into anything yet.  Luckily i have a roommate to feed the stove when im away.  I will look into the water temps throughout the system and see if that explains anything.  I will post the temps on here also and hope to get more good advice. Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]