Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: -18 here with -50 windchill. My Heatmaster 10KE is laughing and Im toasty !!  (Read 7633 times)

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile

-18 here with -50 windchill. My Heatmaster 10KE is laughing and Im toasty !!

Yup - 12hr burns with 3/4 Fills of Maple and Ash, but shes keeping up with all 3 buildings. I was a little concerned at first but this is the coldest I've encountered for this old farm house with no insulation.
I'm set at 185 supply with a 10deg swing. Doing nice at cleaning up all the creosote from the fall !! :D

Yeah, its burning some wood, but its toasty in the house at 72. Pretty impressive for a 88Deg delta to outside and even more with the windchill.

Screw the LP company !! haha

Hope everyone else is doing just as good !!
HeatMaster 10,000E

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile

My stove has been having a hell of a time keeping my house warm.  It was -15 here last night with 40 mph gusts and my blower in my house hardly shut off.  I think there might be some blockage on my blower on the stove because the fire never really got goin good all night.   The garage is only set on 55 so it didn't have a problem at all.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile

Tonight we are suppose to see -4. I fired up the little woodstove in the basement lol. A few nights ago it was -4 and the house was 64-66. My house is in desperate need of insulation!! Waiting on a descent day to blow it in
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

Brad

• OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile

My stove has been keeping up by my house is not doing it's part..  Finally got my zone for the upstairs going and that holds the heat great. We blew insulation in that attic last year and with plastic on the windows that seems to really help...   It's my main level that has a hard time keeping up.  It's been super cold so that is really most of the problem plus old poorly insulated farm house.  Last night it was -28 with wind chills around -50 and the main level t stat was set at 78 and when I woke up it was 62...  The upstairs was set at 70 and it stayed 70..  Once we get back towards zero outside things even out a ton but this cold makes it hard to hold temp...  The water coming in is HOT and pretty consistantly around 170...  I have the aquastat on the OWB set at 185 on the high end and I know I have some loss due the the uninsulated pex that was installed...  I'm hoping to get out and cut some more wood this weekend when it warms up...
Aitkin, Minnesota

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile

Brad,sinething to consider (possably) if your home is like mine and is brick (i have a picture of my home from  1903 so iknow it is very old) my home is constructed from the outside...brick...air space..and brick..plaster was installed right on the inside brick.  i drilled the brick at the mortor joints where three bricks meet and blew in cellulose insulatiion and then as i fixed up each room (becasue there was no way to have a plug on the outside wall) i built new 2x3 walls about 1 inch from the brick (so i could get tehm level) and installed 3 inches of foam. the problem lies between the  first floor cieling and the second floor floor....the studs sit on top of the first brick so if you have an air space between the brick as i did and nothing in there, this space bewtween the cieling and floor can be robbing you of a lot of heat and most of it will be coming from your first floor. also any heat rising through the first floor to  the upstairs will be captured as you say you have insulated the attic very well. this would allow your upstairs to be heated easily from yoru furnace 9witht he captured heat from downstairs). if your  upstairs is very easy to heat perhaps you could consider adding additional ductwork down stairs or install some basboard in the colder rooms?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Brad

• OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile

Hey Willie, thanks for the info.  Our house is steel sided with plaster interior walls.  From what I can see there is very little insulation in the walls.  We bought this place 2 years ago for the land it's on and knew that we will eventually tear the old house down and re-build.  It's got a lot of other issues (bad foundtation, terrible windows, bad roof, leaky basement etc...) and I'm reluctant to throw too much money at it right now..  We are currently putting most of our resources back into the land in the form of building a sustainable farm.  When the time does roll around (hopefully sooner than later) to build a house I will do it the right way and make it as efficient as I can.   Again, I appreaciate the info!
Aitkin, Minnesota

jnicol6600

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 6000e
    • View Profile

-9 here right now. Got down to -15 last night and my poor little H2 hardy is not keepin up. It has a hard time with my radiant floor heat in the basement. I may have to abandon the basement so I can have hot water! Glad it doesnt get like this often in indiana.

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile

It has been in the negative all day here. The 10000E is working hard but doing its job. house is at 74 and it is -3 outside right now with 30 mph winds... Love this stove

ecc_33

• View Profile

-2 right now in middle of ohio. Getting down to -7 tonight with wind chills in the -30's. My empyre pro 200 is doing good. Furnace almost isn't shutting off. I'll be very happy to get 10 hours of burn time tonight with dishwasher, washing machine and hot showers tonight.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile

Boydz, my 10,000E is doing splendid as well! 12 hour burns on a 3/4 load of soft maple. Loaded oak for tonight to get a 14 hour burn.  -5 today in SW Indiana. However, my furnace blowers can't keep up with my lack of insulation. I finally got the house above 70 this morning, but it took several hours and an additional space heater.

I lost power last night at 11:45 and had to go get the generator hooked up to run the pumps to keep the lines from freezing! My circuit worked perfectly and I didn't have any freezing! But, that was one LONG COLD NIGHT!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

DaveWertz

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile

Yeah im having same issues with my stove. Actually the stove does its job like you said my house is not. My house was built in 1901. Upstairs stays warm as can be. The first floor is the one that is hard to heat. Thank god we only see single digits and rarely does it get in negatives here in pa. Dont know how you guys that are seeing -20+ do it. Props to you. I would have moved by now!
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile

Country boy that sounds miserable, I would hate to have to go mess with my genset, we had -31 F last night, supposed to be as cold tonight but 20 mph wind on top of it. The house is staying 72 and I am still getting 12 hour burns, temps are supposed to moderate here by Thursday, even 20 above will feel warm! My generator is sitting in the garage ready to go but I would just as soon not go deal with it.

ecc_33

• View Profile

My generator is sitting in the garage ready to go but I would just as soon not go deal with it.
X2!!!!! My power has been flashing on and off. My uncle's and cousins down the road don't have power and there tractor won't start.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile

Optimizer 250 is working nicely! House is 74* and me and the boy are in our skibbies as usual. I stuffed it about as full as I ever have at 5pm. Curious to see how much is left at 6am. karlk's new nozzle design is working beautifully!
-5 here, which is no big deal, but the dumb wind just will not stop howling!
Our local airport in Lansing has recorded 40+ mph gusts all afternoon.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

chaikwa

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE-2100
    • View Profile

I'm in the same boat as some of you; my OWB is keeping up fine but my house isn't cooperating. A north-facing wall comprised of single pane, floor to ceiling windows, a west facing wall of the same construction, one cement block wall and the rest a converted pole barn with absolutely NO insulation, combined with a forced hot air heating system that was too small to begin with just makes it almost impossible to heat. It was holding 68 degrees until the outside temps went below zero and the wind kicked up to a sustained 30 mph speed. Now it's barely holding 63 with an outside temp of -12. But the boiler temp holds 185 degrees and even shuts off on a regular basis. The inside duct work just can't handle any more flow. I'm still getting a 12 hour feeding time with the OWB, altho it's burning slightly more wood. Just got it on-line a week ago, so no time to get used to it or learn any querks it may have. It's only trying to heat about 1300 square feet right now, but it'll be closer to 6000 when I finally get the main house on line, hopefully at the end of this week.
Pages: [1] 2 3