Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: -15 last night in ne ohio coldest night so far (I think I may be an idiot)  (Read 4287 times)

doow14

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile

been running a kero heater in the basement and one in the work shop on really cold nights,my stove just cant do it in single digets,but its does fine if you ease some of the demand.Me and the boy(25 but still a boy to me) spent a little time in the barn last night taking extra special care of the chickens and coondog,and thowin back a little more than usual keystone lights.Came down and stuffed the shaver full of awesome locust,and a chunk of coal about 12 by 15".hung out in the work shop a spell.went to bed.woke up about 5 am,sure felt awful chilly in the house wow t-stat says 59 what the heck! then it hit me I turned off the blower when we were loading.I went out and opened the door it looked the same as when we loaded it 7 hr ago.ranco said it was 80 deg that's 100 deg behind,I'm an idiot to pull that one on the coldest night so far. When I threw the blower on it was a real fireworks show for about half an hr it was trowing sparks about 10 ft in the air.took about 3 hr to catch up.Told the boy this morn I guess were not total dumba$$s we did remember to bring the keystones in off the back porch so they wouldn't freze I don't think Im the only one to ever pull that stunt,and I probly wont repeat it,But you never can know when dealing with an idiot.hope everyone else is staying warm.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile

Your not the first to do that and wont be the last I'm sure. Don't drink and load the stove may apply in your case!  8)
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

ecc_33

• View Profile

i've went away from my stove "im 30 miles south east of columbus -16* this morn" and thought the same thing. Did I turn that thing on? lol. Mine didn't keep up last night. thermostat set at 68 and temp this morn was 66* I was still happy. I was drunk loading one night after about 15 to many old milwaukee lights and dropped my phone in the fire box while the fire was going  :o. Trying to use the light to see and went right in. It took me a couple minutes the next day to figure out why the phone was covered in nasty stuff lol. Don't worry your not the only one to do stupid sheet!!!!

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile

Well that confirms that I made the right decision in not putting in a shutoff switch for my fan.  I have been known to imbibe upon occasion also and after consulting a couple of other users they said it wasn't worth the effort to instal the switch.  The KISS formula sometimes is best.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile

Get a three way toggle switch

One position for the fan
One position for a light
One position for off

When you load up, move the toggle switch to the light which cuts off the fan.  If you see the light on, you know you forgot to turn the fan back on.

The light also helps you be able to see at night while loading

pointer80

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400 heavy duty
    • View Profile

Wait a minute,  I thought that leaving the blower switch off by accident was like a right of passage? LOL.  I do not think anybody that has a blower switch has not made that mistake and if someone says they have not I would almost call them a liar.  :o  -15 with wind chill here in northern Michigan last night and my woodmaster 4400 kept the house at 70 degrees.  I have the stove about 100 feet from house and another run going into my barn that I am just finishing insulating.  Also heating my domestic hot water.  I guess that's not too bad. 

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI

I did the same thing last week in the morning. Water was 70 degrees when I god home and 65 degrees in the house. There were no coals left so I needed to start a new fire.

Like mentioned above, using a 3 way switch with a light is good. Just a 3 way wall light switch will work. It only has 2 positions so you can't accidentally flip it to an opp position. You can put another switch before it if you need to shut everything off.

doow14

• View Profile

cut way back on the k-stones tonight and just took all them sparks from that well seasoned locust right in the face,taking no chances tonight.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile

doow14, Where you at in NE Ohio? Lived here all my life.... -15 here yesterday morn.  -5 this morning.
North east Ohio
Since 1960

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile

This has happened to us also, leaving the switch off.

But, one morning at 4 am, my wife awoke believing she had forgot to turn the switch back on when she loaded at 10pm...actually went out to the boiler and threw the switch.  But, she had actually got up and 4 am and turned in OFF!  She was confused... anyway, I got home at 7am and the boiler was off and she told me she had got up at 4 and turned in ON~!

I love the 3 way switch idea, probably  do that this  summer.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

doow14

• View Profile
Re: -15 last night in ne ohio coldest night so far (I think I may be an idiot)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »

Pit,I'm in Columbiana county pretty close to north Georgetown,this is more like winter used to be in ohio,seems like winters have been pretty mild last ten yr or so,I kind of forgot how nasty it can get,I'm not really enjoying the reminder.

andyjs

• OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »

I'm right down the road I live in mountz rd.been cold as hell outside

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:59:07 AM »

that's almost close enough to see the sparks and flame shootin out of my stove the other morning

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:12:32 AM »

doow, Definately reminds me of the winters of old. I`m in N.E. Trumbul County up in the snow belt. We get alot of Lake Effect Snow. But you guys in Columbiana seem to get as much snow alot of times.                  Beaver Local on a two hour delay today?  LOL

Anybody else get Snow Rollers last Sunday or Monday? They dont happen often, most will never see them in there life time.
North east Ohio
Since 1960

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:24:33 AM »

Yea those snow rollers were every where I saw huge fields full of them,pretty cool.
Pages: [1] 2