Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

I am building a boiler with a 36" fire box and a 48" water jacket both 48" long. How long should my copper pipe be for domestic water if i put it in the water jacket that will be at 145* 175*... i will have a 40gal electric hot water heater

?
- 0 (0%)
?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 04, 2010, 07:49:53 PM

Author Topic: building boiler... Trying to heat domestic water also!  (Read 3217 times)

Larson88

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
building boiler... Trying to heat domestic water also!
« on: May 21, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »

I am building a boiler with a 36" fire box and a 48" water jacket both 48" long. How long should my copper pipe be for domestic water if i put it in the water jacket that will be at 145* 175*. I was thinking 8'x3/4" what do you guys think? do you think it will keep up?

TYLER

Husqvarna 570
8lb maul

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: building boiler... Trying to heat domestic water also!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »

i used 50 feet of 1/2 inch copper wrapped inside a pipe about 24 inches long . i think there may be a photo ont he picture site
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Larson88

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »

i kind of understand does your domestic run through the copper and inside that 24" pipe is your boiler water?
 I have a outdoor boiler right know  and i run a line from the boiler to my flatplate heat exchanger constantly, but since im building a larger stove i thought why not have the option of having domestic hot water on demand by puting a copper loop in the water jacket.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

larson i use a header system in my house. i have my line from teh stove to the house run into a header that has multiple outlets on it and the same with my return line to the furnace. one outlet and return for each of the following 1 my furnace plenum 2 my domestic water heat exchanger 3 a rad that now sits inside my fireplace (no wood burnt in the house now) and 4 to my floor heat in my small basement

all runs outlets and returns are valved so i can isonlate any "appliance" that may need work

i hope that has cleared things up a bit for how i run
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »

whoops, you only see the return header and the feed line with filter ill try the right one here

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/billie_boy7/003.jpg
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58:58 AM »

My parents have this coil in their heatmor.  It's made for heatmors, but could be adapted to your home-made if you wanted.  It gives them unlimited on demand hot water.  It's not DIY, but it may be worth a little extra $$ to have a coil that is known to work how you want it to and not have to mess with making your own.
http://www.outdoorfurnacesupply.com/internal-domestic-coil-heatmor-units-p-8.html

outsideheating

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

It's best to use 3/4 copper so your water pressure doesn't change.  It's sold in a 60' coil - Type L soft copper.  Lowes and Home Depot both carry it.  If you don't have room to drop this coil in, you can buy a weld in 5" ring and bolt in a copper or stainless finned coil.  The finned coil is the most commonly used by most manufacturers.