Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1 month report  (Read 2276 times)

Opienva

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
1 month report
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »

I have had my Hardy H2 going for a month now. Has not gotten real cold yet! a few nights in the upper teens. House sits at 75* and unlimited hot water for the 6 of us. I love it so far. I have a few things I have questions about. Can I put a reducer on the stove pipe down to 4" to reduce wood usage. The thermostat for the house turns the blower on a lot are there thermostats that the on and off settings can be change? I am also looking at changing the aqua stat to a Ranco model sometime. I got the Maverick ET-732 to keep an eye on the temps with no load and a 100 ft run I get a 4* difference.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
Re: 1 month report
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »

75  :o   set my house at 75 and we would die.......

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »

I would not reduce your stove pipe at all.  I don't see how it would save on wood usage either.  Hardy's aren't known for their efficiency so get used to cutting a lot of wood.  I just sold mine last year.  It worked great but it just burned a lot of wood.  The Ranco controller might help a little because you can change your differential.  As far as the thermostat in your house goes, you can buy digital thermostats that have adjustable swing settings.  So if you have your thermostat set at 75 your furnace won't kick on until 74 or 73 depending on how you have it set.  The furnace will run longer but the idle time will increase.  It's worth a shot.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »

I agree with ATVALASKA, if my thermostats were set to 75f, with the radiant floors on, you would sweat to DEATH. 

Our thermostats are set to either 68 or 70, because we have several through out the house.  It was about 73f in the house over the weekend, cause it had been single digits for a week, then WHAM Saturday hits and its 38; almost sweat to death  :-[. Wife was even complaining, so I knew it was bad; had windows open to cool the place off.  I am about 90% certain that the floors did not kick on for a solid 10 hours (7am to 5pm) that day.

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »

AirForcePOL, are you noticing a drastic difference in your wood usage with the Heatmaster vs your old Hardy?  Just curious.
Aitkin, Minnesota

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »

75  :o   set my house at 75 and we would die.......

No kidding, used to be set at 72 here and felt good, replaced a bunch of windows, a door, did the house wrap, fan fold and new siding, had to drop it to 70 then, 72 was too warm.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

mlappin: You mention fanfold, how do you like the stuff? Easy to work with? How is it held on? What thickness did you go with? What brand? I was wondering if the fan fold works in conjunction with the house wrap or if it replaces it.

Starting from the wall stud going out what are the different layers in order? Such as Stud, plywood sheeting, housewrap, fanfold, siding?

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »

AirForcePOL, are you noticing a drastic difference in your wood usage with the Heatmaster vs your old Hardy?  Just curious.

I wouldn't say I've noticed a big difference but I have been adding a bedroom so my house has been opened up and un-insulated for a while so it's hard to tell.  One room is down to the studs and osb in one spot.  Once I get it sealed up I'll be able to tell a difference I hope. I will say that I get a lot more heat with the heatmaster but it's a lot bigger stove than the H2
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter