Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OWB Making Too Much Charcoal ?  (Read 10274 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: OWB Making Too Much Charcoal ?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »

I think the guys are on the right track about directing your airflow, another thing that can lead to a lot of charcoal, how big a pieces of wood are you burning? I'll get the same if the wife adds wood to ours, nothing but small pieces leads to a lot of charcoal. About time that happens I'll put in big enough pieces that three or four will fill the fire box, end of charcoal.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »

If the previous suggestions don't help how about putting a partial "grate" in, something that starts near the back wall of the firebox to about half or 2/3 way to the door.  that way you could still rake the ashes from underneath it, and if you did that every loading or two, it might leave a place where air could get under the coals also.

Hope you get it figured out, I copied your design in many ways and would expect mine to behave similarly.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »

My opinion is that the fan is too small. I have a pacific western and with the big blower I can blow the coals until they are all gone. When I first set it up I was getting huge amounts of coals, turns out I was putting too much wood in it and too often. I didn't have enough of a heat draw from it either. If your temps are going down and there is still coals then it means the air is not blasting the ashes off the coal and burning them up to get the heat from them. 1st I would cover that small square vent using steel and a couple of screws. If that doesn't work then upgrade to a bigger fan. Your door looks pretty much the same as mine and mine works good now that I understand it. I still get lots of coals but it's because of my work and fill times. As long as it's heating the 2 houses the coals don't bother me.

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:22 AM »

I'm sure part of the problem is learning how my boiler likes to burn and how to vary that with outside temps.

I am not sure yet how well the coals burned or will burn from last night, but it was a pretty good night.  I filled it a 8pm with a mix of small and larger rounds (dry ash),  I got up at 5am and the house was warm(a good sign).  I went out to boiler and the fan was not running, (another good sign).  From what I could tell as I couldn't see much with all the smoke in my headlamp I still had a couple pieces of wood and a fair amount of coals.  I will have to load it up again before work.

This was much better burning than previous.   Must be due to the fact that I got the front insulated and sided yesterday along with covering that square blower vent to divert the air downward.  It was very cold and windy last night. 

I'm still leaning towards a larger fan though.

Pages: 1 [2]