Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: adding bars  (Read 4032 times)

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
adding bars
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »

I seen some talk about adding bars in between the fire brick, my question is will this help hold the ash in for better burn time. I have to empty the ash pan way to often with to much ash chunks big chunks. I almost got 30 gallon container full of as this year burning seasoned oak and cherry.

rick n kristi

• View Profile
Re: adding bars
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:55 AM »

I have a 325G and get the 1" sized charcoal nuggets in the ash pan. Mostly ash but the nuggets looked like a lot. I have a steel drum for ash and put a hardware cloth lid on it to screen out the nuggets. Then I tossed them back in to burn. Quit doing it after a while, wasn’t really saving that many BTU's. All goes in the can now and that gets saved for dusting the garden next year. Separate drum for ash when burning coal. No coal ash in the garden. I guess you could cut rebar for the slots, pick a size that gives you the sieve size you want. May try this next time I’m shut down.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:53:24 AM by rick n kristi »
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »

I put some 5/8 bars in mine it seems to be working fine. I got a poker with a hook on it just take it every once and while and rune between the bricks to break up the ash, it cut down a lot on the amount of ash coming out the bottom

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »

How much ash do you let build up in your 325?  I find if I let it stay a week or so it gets reduced to a fine ash and not small briquettes.
Central MD

rick n kristi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »

Depeneds on volume of wood burned. Right now about a week is good, as things cool off more often. Have never had a problem with too much ash slowing air flow but I guess it could. Do you burn any coal in your 325G?
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

I'm not burning any coal--mainly locust and cherry, depending on the weather.  Of course, it is also nice that i can burn anything the woods decide to donate.  Does the coal smell bad?
Central MD

rick n kristi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »

The coal I get is bituminous coal and has a sulfur smell when first fired. It’s not too bad considering the cost and burn time. It really helps in the coldest months to extend burn times and lower wood consumption. $75 a ton goes a long long way!
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum