Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: our wood stoves are horrible but epa thinks this is fine  (Read 71843 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: our wood stoves are horrible but epa thinks this is fine
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »

Theres a trade off though, less GMO's equals more pesticides and herbicides unless you go full organic.

Since planting roundup ready beans, BT corn and going to 100% no-till on all our acres our chemical use has steadily gone down.

Organic has it's uses as well, as we've been planting cover crops so there is always something green growing which helps reduce weed pressure,reduces runoff and reduces burndown herbicide rates in the spring, unfortunately a lot of the world can't afford it. While on occasion organic yields can and do exceed conventional yields, the average though is less than half of conventional.

Some of these new GMO's are pointless and is just Monsanto trying to corner more of the market. I've been exposed to haymaking in one form or another for 40 years and don't see any point in roundup ready alfalfa. Herbicides already exist for use with alfalfa anyways, and if done properly none are needed anyways. Start with a clean seedbed, plant correctly with a cover crop to keep any weeds at bay and mow often before any weeds can goto seed, no weed problem then.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

Round up is some bad stuff there realizing now, many countries are outlawing it and Dr mercola had some excellent articles on the topic a while back, Google mercola round up and you should be able to find it

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »

Only read one article I googled. One inaccuracy caught my eye immediately.

If this was true "It takes twice as much water to produce a pound of a Roundup-ready crop soybean plant treated with glyphosate, as it does with soybean plant that's not treated with glyphosate." Then how did we grow 71 bushel round up ready beans in 2012? Considered one of the worst droughts since the dustbowl? We had a few timely rains in our area, some that the next county over didn't see, but I also didn't mow the lawn for seven weeks that summer. Nothing to mow. Fed the beef cows hay all summer as the pastures gave up by the first week of June that normally last till the end of August.

Most of these studies also use the premise that roundup is the only chemical applied and every time it's applied it's at the maximum rate. We've never needed the max rate, if everything else works correctly it's applied once in the spring at a quarter rate.

In the past we have grown tofu beans, seed oil beans and another odd ball and roundup ready beans in different fields the same year. Some of the approved chemicals for those other non roundup beans had a restriction of 18-24 months before other certain crops could be grown after the application of those non roundup chemicals while round up had none.

I'll certainly agree that in the pursuit of cornering the market and making obscene profits a lot of things aren't tested near as much as they should be. But, whats the alternative?

The world could become a very hungry place in a very short amount of time. Already this year with talks of a possible drought again in areas of the corn belt and the drought in Brazil prices are rising for commodities, some late planting this spring (which is a very real possibility depending what the weather does in the next few weeks) then if the drought does happen later in the year, there will be shortages again which is what drove the prices so high in 2012.

High hay prices in the winter of 2013 from the hay shortage due to the drought of 2012 drove some dairies right out of business in our area. I did kinda feel bad for some of those guys having to pay such high prices for hay that winter, on the other hand I also vividly remember selling hay in the past below the cost of production a couple years in a row due to a surplus.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:09:02 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 05:26:06 AM »

Global warming not saying its happening or not happening but this year Antarctica set records for the amount of sea ice I guess so who really knows scientists are gonna defend what they study so they can continue to get funded and paid is the way I look at it!
Antarctic sea ice increase can very well be an indicator of warming.

Neal

Really?? Seriously?? Back in the 70's the next ice age was on its way in, then global warming became the next catch phrase and all the polar bears were going to be extinct by now because the polar ice was going to be gone and Florida was going to be under water years ago. Now an increase in polar ice is because of global warming?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph the carpenter, is anything NOT caused by global warming?

Next time I eat Mexican and have a horrendous case of gas can I blame global warming for making the beans more gaseous?
Yes really.

No you cannot blame global warming for your farts.

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 05:30:33 AM »

I farted, take that Antarctica

Good Lord Jesus and the shepherds.....  No matter what anyone says its, oh I bet thats global warming

Kneel sheeple, 200 years my friend, 200 years.   Thats a blink of an eye in the time of earth existence.

since u go back to 1800, what caused the global warming then?  Buffalo farts?  Camp fires? 

I just cant imagine the mentality or lack there of for the global WarMing crowd to say antarctica melting is proof of the global warming, now the sucker adds 500k sq miles of ice in a year and its because of global warming lol
What does 200 years being a short time compared to the length of time the planet has been around matter to anything?  Are you implying that because the earth has been around a long time that change can't happen in short time spans?  That makes no sense at all...

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 06:34:35 AM »

I think we are all just saying not all of us are confident in everything climatologists say, and 200 years compared to 4.5 billion is not in my opinion long enough to know for sure!
Scientists/ climatologists need stuff to study so they can continue to get paid and funding so they have plenty of motive to keep yelling global warming, I'd imagine they probably get all the funding they need!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 06:37:59 AM »

I CAN'T WAIT to get back home and KILL some TREES!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »

I think we are all just saying not all of us are confident in everything climatologists say, and 200 years compared to 4.5 billion is not in my opinion long enough to know for sure!
Scientists/ climatologists need stuff to study so they can continue to get paid and funding so they have plenty of motive to keep yelling global warming, I'd imagine they probably get all the funding they need!
It makes no sense to say that 200 years is not long enough to know.  That's simply silly.

There is far more money in denying warming than promoting it.

Neal

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 06:48:14 AM »

Ok Neal all I'm saying is I'm not convinced it may be happening it may be not. There's not a whole lot I can do about it!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 06:54:07 AM »

I think what is happening financially and politically in our nation is far more important right now than stealing more of my money to fund more of this type of research, where are we at, somewhere north of 17 trillion dollars in debt and still climbing, when does it stop?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »

Exactly what slim said!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »

Ok Neal all I'm saying is I'm not convinced it may be happening it may be not. There's not a whole lot I can do about it!
How can you not be convinced, it is quite clear via factual data that we have warmed over the past 200 years.  What you are saying doesn't make any sense.

Neal

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »

I think what is happening financially and politically in our nation is far more important right now than stealing more of my money to fund more of this type of research, where are we at, somewhere north of 17 trillion dollars in debt and still climbing, when does it stop?
The small amount of money we spend on science is a drop in the bucket - yet still far more important than many other aspects of government that need reduction.  Military, welfare, ect.

Neal

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »

Do you drive a smart car Neal?
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »

Humans havent been on this planet long enough to know if a warming climate is good or bad, or if we are outside normal ranges. 

So did buffalo farts cause global warming to start in 1800?  Or was it the musket barrels of the civil war? 

This Earth has warmed and cooled for billions of years,  if u look at the earths life as 24 hours, u aint gonna learn crap about it by looking at the last 6 seconds of the day..  If its that long

The earth has been much hotter than it is now, its been much colder.  Humans cant be blamed for those because we werent freakin here.   It was natural.

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23