Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Christmas is coming  (Read 6748 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Christmas is coming
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »

So anybody have any must have toys? I just bought myself the 12volt Milwaukee tubing cutter. If my neck is acting up can’t make very many cuts with a manual tubing cutter before getting the dropsy’s. Other day picked corn all day, had drivers but no competent grain cart operator so Dad picked and I drove cart. Looked over the right shoulder a bunch, then over the left shoulder a bunch unloading and watching the Cab Cam to see in the trucks. Worked in the shop a bit after quitting for the night, made bought half a dozen cuts putting a flat plate “kit” together, manual cutter yet, ended up dropping one of the flush/purge valves. Of course it landed on the end and dented the bore, had to massage that out with a teeny little ball peen so the copper would slide in.

Thinking about having the wife pick me up some more of the M12 stuff. Have always been a DeWalt guy, but kinda like the ergonomics of the tubing cutter. Besides with red tools dad won’t be making off with my red batteries for the farms yellow tools. He’s bad about running a battery down, then not putting it in the charger. Just kills batteries if they sit around dead.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas is coming
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »

Ughhhh don't say Christmas, it's not even Thanksgiving yet! I've been eyeballing the M18 PEX crimp tool. This recent surgery has made hand crimping a real SOB sometimes as my shoulders are so weak yet. I have a Nibco ProPress tool, but getting PEX jaws for it cost more than just buying the Milwaukee tool with jaws. Everything I own otherwise is Makita, so it's a big step but I think it'll be worth it in the end. The little M12 Hackzall looks neat too. Buddy has one and it's fantastic for cutting the jacket off the foamed underground. Ordered a new 1/2" Makita brushless 18V impact last night though. Been struggling with a crappy old electric one and a crappier older pneumatic one my whole life. Found this guy brand new for $150 bare but I have stacks of batteries and chargers around so it ought to be a decent investment

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »

Love my Makita li-on stuff , not much they make we don't have some things 2 or 3. With that said I have seen and handled a bunch of the Milwakee stuff and I think if I was going to ever switch over I would go red. Well I have always been an IH guy too so it would make sense  ;D
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »

Looking forward to see what the black Friday sales will be!..Best time to buy tools etc etc
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »

Looking forward to see what the black Friday sales will be!..Best time to buy tools etc etc

Yep, I’m waiting for it as well. May have to put some of that cash under the mattress into the bank.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:38:36 AM »

Yep, I’m waiting for it as well. May have to put some of that cash under the mattress into the bank.

No wonder your neck hurts.
Western Maine

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 03:55:59 PM »

I got all the red tools 12 an18...to include the pex guns ...sold off my m18 the 12v will do what the 18 does.1.5 pex !

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »

I got all the red tools 12 an18...to include the pex guns ...sold off my m18 the 12v will do what the 18 does.1.5 pex !

Actually thats kinda what I’m looking at as well, the 12v stuff is lighter then the 18V. Most of the time installing a boiler 12v should do fine. Working around the farm 18v is the way to go. Speaking of lighter, I also have a DeWalt 18v cordless drywall gun, great for walls, gets heavy overhead pretty quick.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:55:12 AM »

Expander or crimper? I was unable to find a 12V crimper anywhere

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:04 AM »

Expander or crimper? I was unable to find a 12V crimper anywhere

I think he’s referring to a expander, I also looked for a crimper, can get em for monster electrical connections but not for copper crimp rings.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »

I'm impressed with the M12 tools.  I used my M12 Fuel 1/2" hammer drill last week to drill four 1/2" holes in my concrete garage floor for mounting my vise stand and the drill didn't have any issues whatsoever.  For something that small and light, it's crazy what it can do. 

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »

Now, will the best deals be Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brand tools.  I have most of the brand names, they are all good, although I tend to favour Makita.  All my cordless is 18V DeWalt and it's been rock solid for 10+ years.  I generally get 5 to 7 years on the nicads, and next upgrade with be to the 20V li-ion, which work in the original tools with the proper adapter.

As far as Christmas, any tools I need are very specific- a surface plate would be nice but probably a bit much as a gift.   My request to the wife and kids is a gift to a charity of one's choice or otherwise any gift that be either disposable or consumable. Socks are good, booze is good  I do not want people getting me crap just for the sake of a gift.  (I know...bah humbug. :))
Muskoka, Ont

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

As far as Christmas, any tools I need are very specific- a surface plate would be nice but probably a bit much as a gift.   My request to the wife and kids is a gift to a charity of one's choice or otherwise any gift that be either disposable or consumable. Socks are good, booze is good  I do not want people getting me crap just for the sake of a gift.  (I know...bah humbug. :))

Ditto, my mom gets me a year subscription to National Geographic and some quality work socks that you can’t buy in stores.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »

Glad I'm not the only one. When I want something, I go get it unless it's very expensive which is out of the question as far as a gift goes. My mother insists that it's not Christmas without a gift exchange, but then she always buys a bunch of crap I don't want or need and she spends a lot of time and money on the stuff. I feel bad not using it, but I also feel bad that she wastes a lot of money on something that'll probably get buried in the basement for 5 years until I can put it on the garage sale. No matter how hard we push it that she donates whatever she was going to spend on us to someone who actually needs it, she always goes above and beyond to buy us things we don't need. Her heart is in a great place and it's great, but I wish she'd put that money and effort to someone who needs it
Pages: [1] 2