Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: what happened???  (Read 13441 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: what happened???
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »

Far as slow traffic to the site, I’ve not approved near the people the last 6 months as normal. Still think the proliferation of Facebook groups plays a part in it. Especially if they are open groups, immediate posting privileges to go along with the now now now mentality of people.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

nd guy

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400css
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »

But, I also keep in the back of my mind that one of the very first courses that's taught is called Engineering Sciences 1 (ES01).  It essentially teaches the students what screwdrivers, wrenches, wire cutters, etc... are.  The students who come from rural America have no trouble with the class, but those from the city or from families of privilege, all I can say is WOW!  The vast majority of the students are incredibly book smart but have no real world experiences.  I was taught at a very young age the different screwdrivers, wrenches, etc... and their proper application.  Roger

I have an uncle that grew up on the farm, then went and got what little common sense he had educated right out of him at college. He worked at Ford as an engineer for ten years or better, then went to work at an Aerospace firm, maybe Bell Helicopter? Then went to Sikorsky for awhile, if his left nut and life depends on it, he couldn’t change a flat tire.

What make and model was that engine that some incredibly stupid engineer decided that under the intake manifold was a good place for the starter?
90's cadillac Northstar engines also played hide the starter.

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 02:11:26 AM »

Well after everyone figures out Facebook is a Total steel all your info contacts and who knows what of all your data more people might be back to this forum . Do a Facebook download archive and just see all the data that they peeled out of your cell phone. It's crazy .. I just did mine tonight Facebook even had my Google calendar entrys... It's crazyer then most people think..

Heat550

Facebook has always been a virus .lol

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »

Another possible reason... Many of the fake accounts that are still active link to spammy sites or websites that Google does not index due to the content they peddle. It has been proven that Google gives an SEO penalty to websites that link to sites like these especially if they aren't using a nofollow link. In addition, other forums utilize many other organic SEO techniques to rank higher in Google i.e. keywords in the thread URLs instead of just topic=9603.0 etc. Basically what I'm saying is that due to other forums i.e. forestry forum, hearth and many more outranking it on Google in many cases, potential new members are perhaps not being drawn in through those channels anymore.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:32 PM »

I think a lot of people speak with their silence. I don't visit this site much anymore. I don't need to read about how much one person here knows it all and continually argues with other members. He also makes snide remarks about other members (2 in this thread alone) who have been especially helpful with more people than the number of posts he has run up in a short time. Wisdom is knowing when to keep quiet. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2018, 04:35:25 AM »

But, I also keep in the back of my mind that one of the very first courses that's taught is called Engineering Sciences 1 (ES01).  It essentially teaches the students what screwdrivers, wrenches, wire cutters, etc... are.  The students who come from rural America have no trouble with the class, but those from the city or from families of privilege, all I can say is WOW!  The vast majority of the students are incredibly book smart but have no real world experiences.  I was taught at a very young age the different screwdrivers, wrenches, etc... and their proper application.  Roger

I have an uncle that grew up on the farm, then went and got what little common sense he had educated right out of him at college. He worked at Ford as an engineer for ten years or better, then went to work at an Aerospace firm, maybe Bell Helicopter? Then went to Sikorsky for awhile, if his left nut and life depends on it, he couldn’t change a flat tire.

What make and model was that engine that some incredibly stupid engineer decided that under the intake manifold was a good place for the starter?

I have a distant cousin that way too. Grew up on the farm, went off to fancy college for a few years and came back home while deciding what to do with himself. Went out one morning to see he had a flat tire so the old man told him to fill it up because he was busy in the barn. 20 minutes later he wanders back in the barn complaining that his car is bouncing all over hell. So the old man jumps in and immediately notices the right front (which was the flat one) is hopping like mad. Pulls in the shop and grabs a gauge, Ryan had 100lbs of air in it lol. Just kept filling til the compressor stopped, had no idea.

Also the Olds Aurora had the starter under the intake with their 4.0L V8

Wreckit - That story reminds of the time we got a new co-worker from a Chevy dealer who was a mechanic.  One day an older feller stopped by complaining about the new tires they put on his car.  He said he couldn't control it, it was all over road.  So the mechanic took the car out for a quick spin and he could hardly keep it on the road.  He went back to the shop and checked air pressure; over 80 pounds in each tire.  When the mechanic asked why he put in so much air, he said when he got it the tires were half flat.  It was the first time the older feller had any contact with radial tires.  :)   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »

I think a lot of people speak with their silence. I don't visit this site much anymore. I don't need to read about how much one person here knows it all and continually argues with other members. He also makes snide remarks about other members (2 in this thread alone) who have been especially helpful with more people than the number of posts he has run up in a short time. Wisdom is knowing when to keep quiet.

Odd that the guy whining about snide remarks is using his only addition to make snide remarks ain't it? If ya got something to say go ahead and say it. I'd love to see where this jerk argued with anyone at all, much less continually. Perhaps the Thermopex guy that was/is wrong? Sorry you're upset with people who would rather see the truth on a public forum than some bottomless claim from some random person

stratton

• OWF Brand: D.S. MACHINE
  • OWF Model: D.S.Aqua Gem 3200 INDOOR
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 12:26:05 AM »

One thing I learned as a youngster with many siblings (2 sisters and 6 brothers) is you learn how to ignore the negativity at a young age.  I've read the bashing of one manufacturer over another by some people in this forum but I can ignore it because I value the information they share on this forum (people who know a heck of a lot more than I do) for free.  Do some people go over board? You bet they do, but again I can overlook that, I'm looking at the info they share.  My dad used to tell us kids that if a dog starts to bark, let him/her (I have be inclusive :) ), the barking will eventually die down.  But if you keep yelling at it, it'll bark even more for a longer period time; people are no different. 

Well, I'm at work and the boss expects me to accomplish something today (the audacity!) so I gotta get to work.  Roger   
fairfield ct - wardsboro vt

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2018, 06:23:48 AM »

:thumbup:
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2018, 06:37:36 AM »

I still very much enjoy this site. Keep the wisdom coming, it's how I learn.
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]