Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any wood suppliers near me?  (Read 4693 times)

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Any wood suppliers near me?
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:54:07 PM »

Hello - going out on a limb here (pun intended), but does anyone know any lumber companies that might deliver entire truck loads of wood to the central Illinois area?  I've spent a good amount of time scouring the internet and I've found a bunch of tree trimming services that I've reached out to and offered my place as a free drop off for their wood.  Loads are few and far between with most of them, however, and I'd really like to just get an entire 9-11 cord trailer dumped (even 2 or 3 would be fine  :) ) - even at cost and even if I have to cut it myself.  I'd be interested in pulp wood/green wood, tops, etc...  But I can't find anything nearby.  Best I've come up with are landscaping suppliers that want to sell individual face chords at $80+ and similar prices.  Buying a bulk load is cost effective for me as opposed to burning gas, but buying individual face chords split and ready to go isn't.

Thanks for any ideas.
Husqvarna - Rancher 460, 18"
28 Ton Splitter

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Any wood suppliers near me?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:18:57 AM »

I don't know your area but here in SW VA a logger will often be willing to dump a load of tree length pulpwood at a reasonable price. Are there sawmills there local you could get contact info from?
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 03:15:32 PM »

There are - but most are smaller veneer mills.  And most of the time they just want to sell me their pulpwood and ends already split at a higher cost since the work was already done.  :'(
28 Ton Splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »

Do you see loads of logs being hauled in your area? If so, you could try getting the name of the truckers and call them. They might be able to get you loads of logs.

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:21 AM »

I do, but again - they're exclusively oaks and black walnuts.  Every now and again they have big maples or a sporadic red elm.  They leave the tops where they drop and usually only harvest around the edges of row crop fields on big farms (big money around here to have your timber harvested).

I suppose I'm just doomed to getting my wood the old fashioned way.
28 Ton Splitter