Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Site of stove placement  (Read 2656 times)

woodwalker2010

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Site of stove placement
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:01:16 PM »

Hello everyone, This is my first post on here. What a great site. I have learned so much just walking around on here. I have a few questions though. I just purchased a used P&M from a dealer in Ohio, will be going back to get it soon (I'm in N.C.).I  will be using it to heat domestic hot water and water to air hx in furnace of my house. I would like to heat my shop with it to. I was wondering, would I benefit by placing the stove inside my shop to keep the cold air and wind off of it. distance to house will only be about 30' shorter than where I would be placing the P&M if I put it outside, this longest distance is about 100'. I now have a regular wood burner in my shop to heat it, and thought maybe just the radiant heat from the P&M would heat my shop, with no need for any other plumbing or heating appliances. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
Re: Site of stove placement
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

I believe I have some relevant input on this topic for you to consider.  I don't think the used P&M unit you bought will not put off very much if any radiant heat for your garage.  I know their new gasser models are insulated pretty well.  I have a CB2300 and Wood Doctor HE10000, both of which are covered by a structure.  I think the Wood Doctor loses some heat around the front outer door.  There is virtually no heat loss on the CB.  Nowhere on that unit does it feel warm to the touch, let alone hot.  The biggest problem you will find with doing this is the smoke.  I love having them covered and me not being in the elements feeding and servicing these units, however, the smoke is a BIG problem.  I don't know how well your model will draft the smoke out the chimney when the door is open for filling, but mine both smoke a lot out the fill doors.  Everything around them is black from it and I run an exhaust fan to help pull it away outside.  A bigger one would help more.  But I think you would be better served setting the furnace just outside the shop and extend a roof over it and partially wall it in allowing good ventilation and maybe some nearby wood storage for convenience.  With most of the other boilers I've seen installed in my area, the owners have built well ventilated structures around them with doorways and such left open all the time and their firewood stored in them as well.  Having he buildings well ventilated also allows for good air flow to help dry the stored wood.  Hope this helps.

Jeff
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Site of stove placement
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »

Exactly right Do Not put the unit inside of the garage for a few reasons. Smoke will be a problem, Fire hazard, what happens when you need to replace the unit. Cover your wood not your OUTDOOR wood boiler.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.