Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 1st Post in the new area!!  (Read 16901 times)

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
1st Post in the new area!!
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »

Couldn't resist...I heat my 18x36 in ground with my boiler - works great!!

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Post in the new area!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »

Im going to heat mine one day.  My honey do list is only about three pages long right now. 
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

Sounds like my list abarton
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 04:48:06 AM »

I heat my pool to
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »

I probably shouldn't post this, but, here it is. Our pool is a Wally World $150 piece of crap, 16' in diameter and 52" deep. To heat it, I loop 200' of black 3/4" garden hose inside it and tie it down with bricks and nylon tie straps. We've done it this way for about 5 years now. It takes about 2 days to go from a bit over 50* to 85* The same year we started doing it, we bought 4-100' 3/4" hoses on clearance $19 each, so we have very little into it.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

m-44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »

i have a 18,000 gal in ground pool- thinking about heating it in the spring, what would be right way to hook it up and what think it would cost?

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »

m-44 a stainless heat exchanger....It's easy to set up the major issue will be water flow.  Meaning if you use your main pool pump like i did you will need to turn the boiler down or have an adjustable speed pump on the boiler side...think about it for a second 300-600 gallons of boiler waterer transfering heat to 18k.....slow flow is the key...

Jamie

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

I bought one of those store built pool heaters before I got a wood boiler. propane model.  Hooked it up and when I fired it up almost seems like I did not make it ten steps away from it and it had just about sucked the bottom out of the tank.  Man those things like the gas.  Just glad I only wasted $400 on it.  It worked fine but the only problem was I dont have a propane well in the back yard.  I have wasted a lot more money on a whole lot less in the past im only glad the wife got to enjoy it and has forgotten about it.  RIP pool heater
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:10:41 AM »

I have a 18x36 pool, hooked up to a water to water HE with the boiler.  The boiler circulator is 220 and is hooked in series with the pool pump so the circulator will only run if the pool pump is running AND I have the circulator switch on.  I tried it last spring with the pool water at maybe 50.  I could get a 5-6 degree increase per day but I made the boiler work hard :-).  Lots of energy.  Solar cover on a reel is used for most of the 'heating'.  Propane would cost a fortune.  With the OWB it would probabbly be OK once you get the pool to 85 especially if you keep the boiler running for DHW anyway.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »

i have read on the net that a pool cover can save you 50 to 75 percent of your pool heating costs. also i would think heating a pool efficiently would require insulation uner and around yoru pool? I dont have a pool and wonder do installers do this?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »

Determine the average temperature for the coldest month of use.

Subtract the average temperature from the desired temperature to get the temperature rise needed.

Calculate the pool surface area.
here is a quote from a pool heating site

Use the following formula to determine the Btu/Hr output requirement of the heater.
PoolArea x TemperatureRise x 12
This formula is based on 1° to 1-1/4° F temperature rise per hour and a 3-1/2 mph average wind at the pool surface. For a 1-1/2° F rise multiply by 1.5. For a 2°F rise multiply by 2.0.

The heating load is also affected by other factors such as wind exposure, humidity levels and cool night temperatures. Pools located in areas with higher average wind speeds at the pool surface, lower humidity, and cool nights will require a larger heater.

This calculation will give you an approximate size. You should have a trained professional perform a proper sizing analysis for your specific pool.

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »

I have a 24 foot round pool that I am going to try something on this year. I made a solar heater out of black plastic pipe and that helped but it was slow to increase the temp. I just want to be able to get the temp up to get in the pool about 3 or 4 weeks earlier and stay in it 3 or 4 weeks later. During the summer the temp stays fine but I just want to add a few extra weeks.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

m-44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »

thats me, summer fine, i'd like to heat pool up earlier in spring.I'm checking on price parts needed. Is the wood usage about same as heating house in winter??

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »

I setup a cement tank (500 gals) connected to a shell exchanger when I setup my owb. Have a 1 degree aquastat connected to a circ pump and keep it at 105 all the time. The "little woman and i were in at 0530 this morning with the temp at -5. We do not use any chemicals so I drain it twice a week.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »

I have a shell in tube heater hooked right up to the boiler through a zone valve.  Works great.
Pages: [1] 2 3